Family Health Expert Forum
I am sick and I don't know what is wrong !

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I have been sick for 2 months now,been to 2 doctors and none of them have been able to make a diagnosis.

I have 3 symptoms :

low grade fever ( from 37.2 to 37.8 taken axillary at night )
During the day temperature is within normal range ( from 36.6 to 36.9 )

If I stay at home at night temp is 37.2,however if I go out it can get as high as 37.8 )

Feeling nausea sometimes,usually after a large meal.I call this a symtom because I always have great appetite and I never felt nausea,even if I ate a little more.Now,if I eat larger meal,I usually feel nausea,also it comes sometimes not related to meal.

I also feel sore throat,which comes and go during this 2 months,it is usually worse at the morning when I get up from bad

During whole this time,this 2 months,I had low grade fever.Not even a day had pass in last 2 months with fever lower then 37.1

I have taken chest x ray,which come completely normal.I have also done blood lab tests,including some non standard test ( rheumatic tests ) which all come within normal range,except one - ESR ( sedimentation rate ) which is little higher then normal ( 30 per hour 55 per 2 hours )

My next step would be contacting infectious disase specialist in my area,and getting additional test such as hiv test,ebv virus test etc...however as far as I know,both HIV and EBV virus gives enlarged lymp nodes and rash etc...I am sure I don't have any of these symtoms (symptoms),and even those 2 doctors check my lymh nodes and they said they are not enlarged.Also,early HIV infection gives higher fever then 37.2 right ?

Anyways,I welcome any recomendations anyone here can give me
This disaese (disease) is really taking too long and I need a dignosis !

Thanks !

There is no "correct" fever that HIV can give.  It can certainly cause low-grade fevers.  

I agree with the HIV and EBV tests.  I would also consider blood cultures to rule out endocarditis (infection of the heart valves) as well as a PPD placement to rule out tuberculosis.

Other options would then involve various types of imaging tests.  The first would be a CT scan of the chest and abdomen.  Non-infectious causes like lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) can cause fever.  The CT scan can also evaluate for any abscesses that may be present.  These cases can be difficult to diagnosis, yet can cause constant fevers.

You may want to consider these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I forgot to mention I have taken a course of antibiotics for 10 days which seemed to relive the symtoms (symptoms) a little ( or maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me lol )

I didn't feel any nausea nor sour throat during antibiotics course,however fever was still there

Ten days passed,I stopped the antibiotics and all symptoms are here again...
I have had a similar experience,  and I am aware the drain on ones patience.  

What I did was  get involved in a rigorous exercise program and that cured me of this sickness that no Medical Doctor, not even the Mayo could diagnose.

Make sure you have the approval of your Doctor before you pursue a rigorous exercise program.

He is basically what ive done.
1. Drop all drinks containing caffein, including those sodas and double look on those sodas for "salt or sodium"   drop that too.
2 I run in the early AM on a belt, meeting my cartio goal.

3 At noon I do anerobics exercise

4   I do about 1/2 hour of varied exercise nearly every night,  again the cartio type where the heart gets a going.

Good luck.  I havent even had an hour of sickness since and no migraines either.

I am looking for answers too. I am 27 yrs. old and use to be healthy. I have had a low grade fever on and off for over three months. Sometimes I get a slight sore throat. Some days I fell like myself and then it starts all over again. My CBC is normal, Lyme's was negative. Any other options out there? What are the chances of a person having lymphoma? I was perfectly healthy before I came down with a cold that just didn't go away. I am pretty tired and weak but my weight has stayed the same and actually increased a little since I am just sitting around. I am just so upset b/c I can't plan any activities  b/c I don't know if it is going to be a good or bad day and I am barely working. I had a sinus CT scan that was normal.My blood cultures were normal. I was tested for HIV 4 yrs. ago and have been married since then.
I have been having similar problems lately.  For the last month, I have had a cough that just won't go away as well as low-grade fevers whenever I go into see my doctor (I try not to worry about it while I'm not at the doctor).  I am also young (25) and am pretty much healthy, except for one major congenital heart defect (no vena cava so I'm prone to blood clots).  

Anyway, have any of you tried taking some dayquil or nyquil before you go to bed?  Dayquil works wonders for me before I go to bed (nyquil knocks me out for like 18 hours).  Also, I got some cough medicine and an inhaler from my doctor so for some reason, I think either I have a persistant virus, or maybe some new allergy?!  Who knows.

Good luck with your search of a cure and please post if you find it!
A related discussion, Know how you feel was started.
A related discussion, i am on a cycle of sickness was started.
A related discussion, Am I sick? was started.
A related discussion, My daughter is very sick was started.
A related discussion, Sick for years and need new direction. was started.
A related discussion, No more appetite, feel like I'm dying was started.
Lately, my entire face aces, but this week my face, head, n abdominal pain alone with non stoping diahrea...n also low fever....can u pls tell what's going on with my body .?  Thank u very much........ maddy