Family Health Expert Forum
I have a 'knot' on my neck

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I have a 'knot' on my neck

I am a 31 year old female. I have had a small knot on the right side of the back of my neck near the bottom of my head.  This has been there for about three years and has always been about the size of a bebe, I just noticed yesterday that the knot is now about four times that size.  It doesn't move when I touch it. Should I get it seen about?

Tough to say without examination.  Things to consider would be some kind of trauma, cyst, abscess, or a fatty tissue deposit known as a lipoma.  The fact that it is growing warrants concern.

I would consider an ENT (ear, nose, throat) or a surgery referral depending on where the knot is.  

If it is a cyst ot abscess, it can be drained and treated.  A lipoma can be surgically removed.  If the diagnosis continues to be non-revealing, a biopsy of the lesion can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
My friend has a knot in her neck but it travels everywhere. She has been to several doctors but none of them seem to know what is causing it or how to stop it. It shows up on her forehead, her feet, neck, hands. She has several and they seem to travel.
One doctor called it roaming tumors. She has had mri done.

Has anyone ever had this and know what will help? She did have cancer but they said it was in remission. Except now she has this problem.

bonbon6
A related discussion, knot in neck was started.
A related discussion, knot on neck was started.