Family Health Expert Forum
Inner ear Infection? or something more sinister?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

A week ago I woke up with minor ringing in my right ear, it was bearly noticable, so i waited until monday in which it didn't go away, so I went to my doctors, and she took a look inside and saw there was a wax plug, so they put hydrogen peroxide in there, and then irrigated it out with warm water, however that did not stop the ringing, so she gave me a prescription of cipro HC, because she saw there was some irritation in the ear canal

I went back on thursday(a couple days ago) and she took another look inside, and couldn't figure out why it was ringing still, so she referred me to an ENT which I have an appointment with tuesday, the problem atm is

THe ringing is so loud i havn't been able to sleep since thursday, my stomach hurts, and there's so much pressure in my head that it's maddening.

today there's been a burning pain that went from my right ear down to my right shoulder blade, and then there was a large amount of pressure to the base of my skull. My mom insists that it's a inner ear infection, however I'm not sure

Any thoughts?

Aron
Tinnitus is a fairly common symptom and can be difficult to diagnose.  A variety of vascular problems, neurological problems, or anatomic diseases (i.e. masses) can all lead to tinnitus.  Infection can be present as well, and should be appropriately treated.

A complete head and neck exam should be considered.  Tumors in the head or auditory system should also be ruled out, either with a CT scan or MRI.  

A audiogram (hearing test) should also be done.  

These options should be discussed with a specialist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_