Family Health Expert Forum
Levaquin prescribed for strep throat?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Levaquin prescribed for strep throat?

I went to the doctor yesterday suspecting that I had strep...he did a culture which needs to be sent out but he did feel it was indeed strep.
I am allergic to pcn so he prescribed Levaquin which is not indicated for strep, will this work?
I did speak with him this morning and he assured me that while it it not usually the first choice for strep it would in fact work.
I am still not convinced, I don't like to take antiobiotics in the first place so to be taking one they may not be affective is making me concerned.
What is your opinion?  Should I insist he give me something else?
Thanks,
H
Levaquin is overkill for strep throat (akin to using a nuclear bomb to kill a fly), but it should work for strep.  

The recommended second choice for strep throat would be erythromycin or another antibiotic from the macrolide family.

This can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have taken it for strep and it cleared it right up. Thats what they go to medical school for.If your not 100% positive that you have strep, than just wait for your results to come back first!
Yup. Levaquin is overkill. The drug has many serious side effects. Get the PDR and read about them. It is a niche drug that shoild be reserved for special cases.
Levaquin in some cases may be overkill.  However, there are new strains of strep that are resistant to more traditional antibiotics such as amoxicillin.  I recently had strep and took a high dose of Amoxicillin for over 48 hours and only got worse.  By the time my doctor put me on Levaquin, I had a very bad case of strep.  My doctor started me on 500 mg and had to increase it to 750 because I wasn't responding as well as I should have.