Family Health Expert Forum
Low White Blood Cell Count Sign of HIV
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low White Blood Cell Count Sign of HIV

A week ago I came down with a cold and a bad case of a dry cough (for an entire week). I went to the emergency room and was told I had brochitis and was given an albuterol pump and cough syrup.

A few days later I went to see my primary doctor and he ordered some blood work.  The results showed that my WBC is 3.7, my doctor said this is just below the normal range (3.8-10.8). Immediately I thought IS THIS A SIGN OF HIV! My doctor told me not to worry but I am worried anyway.

I have been in a monogamous relationship for the last 2 years and we have had unprotected sex. I took a rapid HIV test a year ago and was negative (my partern was negative as well).  

I plan to get another rapid test and I know I won't know if I have HIV for sure until I get the test results but but I still want to know if A WBC VALUE OF 3.7 COULD BE A SIGN OF HIV?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
There are many reasons for a low WBC count.  HIV is one of them, although you may want to look at more common causes first.

Any viral infection can decrease the WBC count transiently.  As the virus passes, the WBC will normalize again.

Persistently low WBC counts can also be due to various forms of lymphoma.  If this is the case, a bone marrow biopsy can be considered.

Various immunosuppressive disorders, including HIV, can be considered.  Because of this, I would advise testing.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0 Comments
Blank
I'm not a dr but I know for a fact a low white blood cell count doesnt always mean you have AIDS.I have a low white blood count when I am very sick and I can asure you I do not have aids.Not even anything close to that.So if you were checked for hiv/aids and it came back negative dont worry about it.I would just practice safe sex and get checked for it at least once a yr.I do.So stop freaking out,I'm sure its because of your cold.Good luck.
Blank
I'm going to say it's .000000000000001 percent chance you have HIV..You have a cough and cold and a diagnosis of bronchitis.A persistent,chronic virus often suppresses your WBC That's the most likely cause of the WBC. A test a year ago for HIV for both you and your partner that was negative makes the possiblity of HIV very slim. HIV takes in almost all cases only few months to convert, at most six months. Test to make yourself feel better but don't spend any nights sleepless because of this.
Blank
515417_tn?1211472686
A related discussion, Low White Blood Cell Count was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979