Family Health Expert Forum
Low White Cell Count...

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Low White Cell Count...

Dear Sir,
Last year I had a blood test that resulted in a low white cell count: 3.3. My doctor didn't pay any attention to it, because he said that it might have been because I got a bad cold at the time. This year I got another bad cold for about a month; the doctor said that it was a bad virus, and he tested my blood again and my white cell count went down to 2.8. Then, in a few days it went up to 3.8. The doctor told me that it was OK. I asked him if I could monitor this "problem". He told me that I could wait until I felt better and take another test. I took another blood test last week, and my white cell count was down again to 3.3. I didn't like that, but my doctor said again that it was OK to have a low white cell count like that and that he wasn't worried about it. Is this right? On top of that my Neutrophil count is 1.8, which is also low, and I don't like this either. Could you tell me if it is OK to have these low counts in my white cells for such long periods of time? Or maybe I should be investigating this a little bit more.
This is worrying me. I'm not satisfied with my doctor's answer. Am I right?
Thank you,
Henry
I would consider investigating these low blood counts with a referral to a hematologist (blood specialist).  What is being described is known as leukopenia (the medical term for low blood count). It can result from many different situations, such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy, bone marrow disorders or diseases of the immune system.

A blood smear should be done to confirm the presence of leukopenia.  I would consider that referral to the hematologist to see whether a bone marrow biopsy should be considered to evaluate for any primary bone marrow process or disease.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Read the information, and it was almost a carbon copy of my experience. I have gone to the hemotologist,had bone marrow removal, and am waiting for the results.I have had this situation for about a year, and my other doctor didn't seem to be concerned.
my new doctor is the one who ordered the tests. We'll see.
            Rushour
A related discussion, My Wife was started.