Family Health Expert Forum
Lump on Chest

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Lump on Chest

I am a 38 yrs old male 5'10 and about 210 pounds.

I have a lump on my left side of my chest about and inch left of the nipple. I guess it's been there for about 6 months. I'm not sure if it has grown or not. Maybe?!  It's a little less then the size of a dime. It's under the skin and seems to be at the muscle (under some fat of course).  It's hard and a little painful (tender) to touch. I also think the muscle around it is a bit tender.  

Other then this, I feel like I'm in pretty good health.

Any thoughts on what this can be? Should I make an appointment with my PCP?

Thanks!!

Tags: lumps, Chest, Skin
Any time you have a lump in the breast area, you should make an appointment with your doctor, whether you're a man or a woman.  There is a always a small chance (very small in your case because you are male and relatively young) that a lump can be related to breast cancer.  Malignant lumps are more common in an older age group, and usually aren't tender.  The more likely senarios for your case are a cyst, or gynecomastia, which is an enlargment of the breast tissue.  Gynecomastia is usually more central around the nipple though- but if that is the diagnosis, it is important to find out what is causing it.  It is usually benign, but can be a result of hormones from testicular cancer, for example, so should be checked.

There are other benign lumps, such as fibromadenoma, and lipoma, which are possibilities.

It is very likely that this is a benign lump, but you should get it looked at to rule out anything serious.  

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

JMK MD
Thanks Dr.K!

Quick question, will the doctor be able to tell what it is by feeling it or is there certain test I should ask for?

I'm sure I'll have to see the  PA first.  

Thanks again!
Hi Dr. K,

I went to the PA and she doesn't know what it is. She is setting up an Ultra Sound and maybe a mamagram for me. Does that sound about right?

Cann't they just open me up and remove it?

Thanks!
I'm sorry, I forgot to ask.

There is a place in Sacrmento that does CT scans. If money isn't an issue, would you advise in me getting one?
Hi there.
An ultrasound and mammogram are a good place to start (rather than CT, regardless of cost).  If that doesn't give you a definitive answer, they can certainly send you to a surgeon who can biopsy or remove it, which is what I would do if the testing can't tell you for sure.

Good luck.  Keep me posted.

JMK MD