Family Health Expert Forum
Lump on ribcage

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Lump on ribcage

I noticed a lump on my right side near the bottom of my ribcage.  Two days pryor my right side felt sore.  Then later I noticed this lump.  I can actually see a small protrusion when I arch my back on the front lower part of my ribcage. It feels soft & moves a little.    Could that be a swollen lymph node?  I did have a sore throat.  I don't remember lifting anything heavy.   I also have been diagnosed with IBS, (extremely constipated), I am taking zelnorm for a year now.   Should I be overly concerned or wait to see if it goes away?
I am not aware of lymph nodes being at the bottom of the rib cage.  It would depend whether this lump was a part of the bone or soft tissue - this would involve a physician to examine you.  Your description suggests that it may be a soft tissue mass.

Depending on what your physician finds, further imaging can be done with plain films or CT scans.  If it is determined to be harmless, then you may be instructed simply to watch it.  

Most soft tissue masses are benign - but without examining you, I cannot give any sure responses.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Hello - I will be on vacation until August 9th. I look forward to answering your question when I return.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
That's not a likely location for a lymph node. It may well be a fatty tumor (lipoma, harmless) or a plugged oil gland (sebaceous cyst.) It's not possible to diagnose a lump online; if you need reassurance, you'll need to see your doctor.
Hi zednanref--I had similar situation last year and have had the diagnosis of IBS for years now--that has been thought too be part of actual multiple neruological issues.  I also had a pea sized knot in the left rib cage for about a year--that grow and stuck out of my side one morning getting ready too go too my dermatologist's offcie one morning.  She removed it because she had become concern--when I told her it was pea sized about 9 months prior--and jsut happened too be "sticking out of my side" like a index finger pushing through my rib cage.  It happened too be a cyst and ruptured when they were removing it (why they said it was painful--also said scaring down was also present, thought they never explained what scaring down ment).  Anyway--I am dropping this note too you--too tell you too be your own advocate and that you are your best judgement in how you feel.  That somethign thta is bothering you this much definitely should be checked out and I will be hoping too hear from you soon as too what your doctor is going too do for you--I had mine removed in awake situation in a dermatologist's office--it was much more involved then they thought in one way--but much less in others.  (I think they said I behaved, LOL)  HUGS eLori
A related discussion, lump on ribgage was started.
A related discussion, Soft Tumor under right breast at rib cage was started.