Family Health Expert Forum
Lymph Nodes Swelling or Not?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Lymph Nodes Swelling or Not?

Dear Dr:

I am a male, age 30.   I have two question:

Question #1.  I felt a lump in my pelvis.  I understand the pelvis to be:  the lower part of the abdomen between the hip bones.  Additionally, I do not confuse the pelvis with the groin.

I went to the doctor this morning.  He felt the lump and said it was
To answer your questions:
1) It is possible to feel superficial lymph nodes - although this would be atypical in the pelvis.  Any type of abdominal or GU infection can lead to enlarged lymph nodes in the area.  For further evaluation, an abdominal/pelvic CT scan can help discern possible lymph nodes in question.

2) Again, difficult to say without examination.  Possible causes can include lymph nodes, a cyst, muscle strain or infection caused by clogged hair ducts.  An ultrasound in this area can help if the diagnosis is in question.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
1 Comment
Dear Doctor:

Before you respond to my above two questions, let me add:

In my state of nervousness, I decided to see another doctor.  This doctor also examine my left armpits quite extensively, and determined that there were no swollen lymph nodes.  She even touched the "sore spot," and said no swollen lymph node.  

She then examined my pelvis, and her comment to me what the the lump in my pelvis feels like an inflamed hair follicle.   She said that it wasn't a lymph node, because the pelvis (not groin--just wanted to clarify, because I know most non-doctor confuse pelvis and groin) really do not have superficial lymph nodes that become palpable when swollen.

I hope you can still respond to my original posting addressing both questions.

Additionally, I hope that I have not broken the rules by adding to my original posting.   I determined it would be okay, since you have not had time to respond.  If I did break the rules of this Forum, please disregard this one posting, and just refer to the original.

Thank you, Dr.

SeattleMan