Family Health Expert Forum
Mass on Leg ?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Mass on Leg ?

I have a 3.5 cm mass on my leg about one inche directly below the knee. It is slightly purple-red in color. I have had it for 28 years ! I am 44. When I was about 20  a doc told me it was a vericose vein and to forget about it.
Its in a spot that is very prone to accidents and getting bumped. I remember all through the 90's hitting it and seeing stars. VERY painful. I would literally fall on the floor because it hurt so much with the slightest little tap.
It has been getting larger. I think I noticed the increased size a couple years ago.  
Again I showed a different doctor and he said it was a vein and posed no concern for a blod clot, which is what I was worried about.
It usually gurts moe in the evening, and I notice that when I wake in the morning it is smaller, softer and flatter.
It also gets very itchy some times.
Classic vericose vein symptoms/
Last week it was really throbbing so I went to a vascular lab to have a sonogram and vein study. The tech said its not a vein, but its a mass. Its part cycse as there is some liquid but its more solid and there is a blood supply so it a tumor. She called in the vascular surgeon to have a look. he pushed it and I saw stars. He said we need to biopsy. It measures 3.5 cm

So now I am a nervous wreck. What does this SOUND like? Cancer?
It is constantly inflamed and ulcerated in color. Its coming out next week, so I am not asking to avoid surgery.
I just want to try to put my mind at ease until I get the results.
I read that typically benign fatty tumors are soft and spongy. I THINK this is probably soft, but I cant put any pressure on it because its so painful. But its been painful like that for 20+ years, lol.

Please someone give me some opinions. IF it is cancer what is the prognosis on these type of things?
I'm sorry to hear that you having such a time with this.  I think that there is definitely a possibility that this mass is benign, and spending a lot of time worrying in advance will not accomplish anything (easier said than done, I know).  Some benign tumors can evolve into malignant ones over time though, so it is very important that you get this further investigated and dealt with.  In addition to the biopsy I would suggest talking to your doctor abput getting an xray (to see if there has been any bony involvement), and an MRI to further assess the extent of the mass (and to determine nerve involvement etc.).  Prognosis will depend on diagnosis, which is impossible to determine without further workup.
Very best of luck.  
JMK MD
"I think that there is definitely a possibility that this mass is benign"
I know this sounds like I am reading too much into this, but when you say a possibility it is  benign, do you mean the probability is that its maliggnant ?
Yes. There is always that possibility, which is why I stressed that it is important to have it followed up.  It is probably not malignant, but it is not impossible.
Good luck,
JMK MD