Family Health Expert Forum
Metallic Taste

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Metallic Taste

What is the symptom
The metallic taste you are experiencing may very well be from the infection itself, however whenever I hear of a "metallic taste" in someone taking an antibiotic I think of "BIAXIN" which is an antibiotic used to treat upper respiratory infections such as sinusitis and has the side effect of this metallic taste which will subside once the medication is discontinued.

In regard to the metallic taste which may be present with a bacterial infection, the tongue has taste buds all over it. The taste buds which sense sour, bitter and metallic tastes are located on the back part of the tongue. This is where many bacterial infections will thrive. The metallic taste comes from sulfur compounds produced by the bacteria. Once the bacterial infection clears, the metallic taste should subside as well.

If the metallic taste does not subside, the next step is to pay a visit to the dentist as many problems with abnormal tastes in the mouth and/or halitosis (bad breath) can be associated with infection/inflammation of the gums.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum!
1 Comment