Family Health Expert Forum
Nail fungus.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nail fungus.

I might be in the wrong forum as well but I was prescribed lamisil after a positive test for Onychomycosis on my toenails. I was told to take one tablet a day for 3 months. My doctor did check my liver before starting and he called to say everything was normal and to go forth with the treatment.
I've heard so many bad things from hair loss, death, loss of taste and I'm so scared. I'm 21, a semester from graduating college and can't afford radical side effects from trying to cure nail fungus.
Related Discussions
2 Comments
Blank
517301_tn?1229801385
lamisil can definitely cause abnormal liver tests so while taking the medication the blood tests should be followed.
Blank
1236893_tn?1394988190
Consider tea tree oil, a safe natural over the counter remedy. It’s a powerful antibacterial and antifungal agent. Apply  with a clean Q-tip twice a day. Use for three to six months. Be sure to keep your nails trimmed.

Tea tree oil may not have as high a cure rate as Sporanox and it’s not as well studied …  because it’s not a drug! However, if it works for you, you’re in business.

A safe but pricier topical treatment available by prescritpion is Penlac.  Apply twice a day for eight to twelve months.

To prevent toenail fungus, avoid tight fitting shoes. Wear flip flops in communal showers and dry thoroughly. Apply antifungal powder to soles of feet and in between toes.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5614495_tn?1371832804
Christina Palmer, M.D.Blank
University of California San Francisco
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity