Family Health Expert Forum
Next Step?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Next Step?

I have a 16 yr. old daughter who has been ill for three weeks now.  It started with neck pain (I thought she slept wrong), then chest pain, dizziness & general malaise - but no fever.  We took her to an after-hours doctor who said that it was some kind of a virus and gave her Naproxyn for pain.  The second week into it she became worse with the dizziness and feeling tired and while on a vacation (which she stayed in the bed in the hotel) she felt so bad that we took her in the ER.  Tests were normal, except for a blood sugar of 135 and low potassium.  She had not eaten all day, so the blood sugar was fasting.  However, she had enough liquids so as not to be dehydrated - which they thought she was with the low potassium & gave her a liter of fluid.  The doc commented that she felt hot on her neck and back and asked that her temp be taken again - which was normal.  We left town early due to her condition & she had nausea & vomiting for the next 24 hours.  So, we took her in to her regular doctor after getting home and he thought she had vertigo.  The vomiting ceased, but the other symptoms remained - neck pain, dizziness & tiredness.  He suggested taking her to an ENT, but we wanted another opinion from a gen. practitioner.  He commented that her neck felt hot, but no fever.  Blood tests in his office showed initially a blood glucose of 122 and she had not eaten for at least four hours.  The rest of the tests were sent out and I got the results today that shows Neutrophils - 73, Lymphs - 21, serum potassium 5.7 & alkaline phosphatase 43.  These were the only ones marked as being abnormal according to their reference range for her age.  The glucose was 94.  As of today she still complains of neck pain (which is hot to touch), but there is no obvious swelling or redness.  She still complains of lethargy and not being able to sleep due to feeling so bad.  She eats only crackers and yogurt as she says most other foods make her nauseated or she doesn't feel like it.  She's lost 10 pounds and now weighs 100 on a 5'2' frame.  The blood glucose is significant to me because on my maternal side of the family five members have/had Type II diabetes and I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with her.  I don't think the higher than normal blood sugar is causing her problems, but I'm not a doctor either.  I'm just concerned that she's showing strong indicators of developing this disease.  

So, where do I go from here?  Do I take her to an internist, neurologist or who?  I'm at a lost as to where to proceed from here.  

Thanks for your time,
kdmom