Family Health Expert Forum
Odd swelling on side of nose.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Odd swelling on side of nose.

I'm a 35 year old male and I rarely get sick. But on the 30th of December 06' I had up an unusually bad cold. Heavier congestion than I have ever experienced before, and ended up blowing my nose with such effort that air came through the area around my left eye. By the afternoon of January 2nd I felt much better, but happened to notice an unusual swelling on the left side of my nose. It's been close to 4 weeks now, and the swelling does not seem to have diminished.

There is no pain at all and no unusual symptoms. My breathing seems unaffected, though it may be slightly more difficult to breath on the left side. No congestion.

The swelling is on the left side between the nostril and tip of my nose, from the bottom edge near the nostril opening to about halfway up my nose, about the width of a pencil. Examining the inside with a q-tip, there seems to be corresponding dimple on the interior of the nose (though not large enough to account for the entirety of the swelling). It's fairly minor, but often seems wetter and spongier than the surrounding tissue.

The skin does seem to shift very slightly over the surface of the swollen area, but it is very minor. As if there was something firmer under the skin. But when I grip the swollen area from both the inside and outside, the sensation of something firm under the skin diminishes. I've tried both hot and cold compress with no lasting effect.

Any advice or theories as to what this swelling is would be greatly appreciated.