Family Health Expert Forum
PAIN AFTER SNEEZING

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

PAIN AFTER SNEEZING

HELLO,
I RECENTLY POSTED A QUESTION CONCERNING A STRONG PULSE IN MY ABDOMEN.  I HAVE VISITED MY DOCTOR AND HE CONDUCTED A BASIC EXAMINATION AND CONCLUDED THAT I SHOULD NOT BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS; FURTHER, HE HAS SENT ME FOR A SONOGRAM AND STATED HE WAS DOING IT ONLY FOR MY OWN PEACE OF MIND.  HE EXPLAINED THAT NOTHING DURING HIS EXAMINATION WOULD LEAD HIM TO BELIEVE THAT ANYTHING OTHER THAN MY BODY TYPE IS THE REASON WHY I NOTICE MY PULSE IN MY ABDOMEN.  APPROXIMATELY 6 MONTHS AGO, I SNNEZED SUDDENLY AND FELT A SHARP PAIN IN MY CHEST.  ALARMED, I WENT TO THE DOCTAOR AND A CHEST X-RAY WEAS PERFORMED.  AT THAT TIME, THE X-RAY SHOWED NO REASON FOR FURTHER TESTING.  A SECOND SET OF X-RAYS WERE TAKEN A FEW WEEKS LATER AND ALSO SHOWED NOTHING.  SOMETIMES THE PAIN WOULD BE CENTERED AROUND MY STERNUM, NOT IN THE BONE BUT THE MUSCLE.  THE PAIN CONTINUED FOR A FEW MONTHS UNTIL I ALTERED THE WAY I SNEEZE, I SNEEZE OFTEN DUE TO ALLERGIES, AND THE PAIN SEEMED TO GO AWAY AND NO LONGER OCCURS WHEN I SNEEZE.  I WAS WONDERING IF THESE TWO CONDITIONS COULD BE RELATED IN ANY WAY OR BE THE SIGN OF SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS.  I HAVE BEEN EXAMINED BY A CARDIOLOGIST SINCE THE CHEST PAIN AND HAVE HAD SEVERAL NORMAL EKG'S AND A NORMAL SONOGRAM OF THE HEART (I AM SORRY BUT I CAN NOT SPELL THE NAME OF THAT TEST).  ULTIMATELY, HOW MUCH DAMAGE CAN A SNEEZE CAUSE AND IS THERE ANY CONNECTION TO THE PULSE IN MY ABDOMEN?  SORRY IF I AM WAISTING YOUR TIME.
I am not aware of a disease that would connect the two symptoms.  The most likely cause of the chest pain would be a musculoskeletal strain exacerbated by the sneezing.  If the echocardiogram was normal, you can consider a stress test for further cardiac evaluation if there is still concern about the heart.  If these tests are negative, I would consider physical therapy to evaluate the chest pain.

I agree with the ultrasound to evaluate the abdominal "pulsing".

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I HAVE HAD A CARDIAC STRESS TEST ON A TREADMILL AND WAS TOLD THAT I WAS ABLE TO PERFORM AT TWO LEVELS HIGHER THAN WAS NECESSARY FOR MY AGE AND WEIGHT.  I FELT FINE AND COULD HAVE PROBABLY CONTINUED; HOWEVER, MY DOCTOR SAID IT WAS NOT NECESSARY.  HOW COMPREHENSIVE IS AN EKG, ECHO, AND STRESS TEST IN EVALUATING A PERSON'S CARDIAC HEALTH?
     I had similar symptoms & actually thought I was having a heart attack, but tests were neg.  I went to my Dr. and she evaluated my chest pain & duscovered I had popped a rib out just enough that it would cause all sorts of chest pains as well as increase any acid refluxe that I had.  I have been going to the chiropractor, however the rib will come out with sneezes, lifting, stretching or moving wrong.  I was then refered to a physical therapist to have the muscoskeletol muscles strengthened with exercises and an abdominal wrap to keep the rib from "slipping".  I hope this helps, take care!