Family Health Expert Forum
PULSE IN STOMACH

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

PULSE IN STOMACH

HELLO,
I HAVE RECENTLY NOTICED THAT I CAN SEE MY PULSE IN MY ABDOMINAL AREA.  IT IS NOT LOCALIZED TO ONE PATICULAR AREA AND SEEMS TO INCREASE WHEN I AM EXERCISING A OR LYING ON MY BACK.  I HAVE PALPATATED MY OWN ABDOMEN AND ARE UNABLE TO ISOLATE IT TO ANY ONE AREA.  FURTHER, I HAVE VISITED A CARDIOLOGIST WHO EXAMINED ME AND STATED THAT I WAS IN ABOVE AVERAGE PHYSICAL CONDITION AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSERNED.  THE CARDIOLOGIST PERFORMED A SONOGRAPHIC TEST ON MY HEART, I AM NOT SURE OF THE NAME OF THAT TEST, AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT DOES THAT LOOK AT--THE HEART OR AND PERIPHERY STRUCTURES?  MY FAMILY DOCTOR GAVE ME A CARDIAC STRESS TEST ON A TREADMILL AND FURTHER STATED THAT I WAS IN ABOVE AVERAGE CONDITION.  EVEN THOUGH I HAVE HAD THESE ENCOURAGING WORDS, I AM STILL CONCERNED, OBDVIOUSLY, CONSIDERING I AM POSTING THIS QUESTION.  MY PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:  6 FEET 2 INCHES; 215 POUNDS; 48 INCH CHEST; 34 INCH WAIST; ON A SEMI-MUSCULAR FRAME; AND I ENJOY LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH (JUST A LITTLE LIGHT HUMOR).  THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSE.
The ultrasound of your heart is called an echocardiogram.  It typically looks at the structure of the heart and valves.  

The pulsing in the abdominal area needs to be evaluated for a possible abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA).  This is a dilation of the major abdominal artery and can be evaluated with an abdominal ultrasound.  

This option should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b

I have a strong abdominal pulse as well . it can be  absolutely normal for the abdominal  aortic pulse to be felt and seen  , more so in thin people--- and when in certain positions such as laying on your back.  

I always hear people express fears of  an abdominal aortic aneurysm , because a strong  abdominal pulse  is one of the symptoms, but that happens  primarily in elderly people.  

What you get with an aneurysm upon  auscultation  with a stethoscope,  is a much more diffuse sounding pulse,.

Instead of the strong thud, thud ,  more like a blowing murmer or  wooshing sound  is heard  by the examining doctor through a stethoscope   and in some persons there is  a pulsating bulge you can feel. ( expansile pulsation)

If it is worrisome , get the doctor to listen to it  with a stethoscope or have an ultrasound.

THANK YOU FOR YOR REPLY.
WOULD ANY POTENTIAL PROBLEM SHOW UP ON AN X-RAY?
WOULD THIS HAVE SHOWN UP ON A CHEST X-RAY?

Hi, no --it definately wouldn't show on a chest x ray.  Some can be seen on a plain abdominal xray though. Also an abdominal ct scan or MRI .And an ultrasound.
Hey i am 28 and have the same deal..i am overweight and last yr went to the ER they did an ultra sound said was okay..so i trust them..i do hae tachycardia andtake atenolol..otherwise okay health
hope your doing good
HEY,
THAKNS FOR THE POSTING.  I JUST GOT HOME FROM THE VASCULAR SURGEON AND AN ULTRASOUND WAS PERFORMED.  I WAS REALLY NERVOUS DUE TO SOME OTHER STUFF I READ ON THE INTERNET.  UNFORTUNATELY, I SUFFER FROM POST TRAUMATIC STREES DISORDER AND HAVE A HARD TIME TALKING MYSELF OUT OF PANIC ATTACKS.  THE VASCULAR SURGEON SAID EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL AND I SHOULD NOT WORRY.  I HAD A SECOND CARDIAC STRESS TEST THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY ON THE TREAD MILL AND WAS TOLD EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL.  I APPRECIATE THE RESPONSE AND THE COURAGE THIS FORUM HELPED ME MUSTER UP.  

SINCLAIR
glad your doing good...now may the Peace come over you and all of us..GOD will give us that peace.
dave
I can sympathise with the people on this forum - exactly the same thing happened to me over the new year. I noticed my abdomen pulsating quite a lot. I checked into the hospital, was examined and told that my Aorta was fine and it was common for the abdomen to pulsate when your body was in a certain position i.e laying down.

I visited my doctor for a second opinion as most of the stuff on the Internet freaked me out. He examined me, said my Aorta was fine but sent me for an Ultrasound to put my mind at rest. The Ultrasound showed my Aorta to have a dimension of 1.8cm - average is 2cm. My doctor has put this down to anxiety.

I still notice the pulse, but only in the bath when I'm lying down. I guess all the blood rushes to the surface in hot water and makes this pulse worse.

I've put it down to experience and am trying to clear it from my mind !
I can relate to a lot of the comments on this forum - I wish I had found these posts over new year when I had the same problem.

I noticed my abdomen pulsating so I checked into the local hospital and was examined. I was told that my Aorta was fine, was common for the stomach to pulse in certain positions i.e lying down and put it down to anxiety.

I then went to my Doctor for a second opinion because a lot of the sites on the net pointed to an aneurysm which freaked me out. Again my abdomen was examined, and my Aorta was fine but my Doctor sent me for an Ultrasound to put my mind at rest. The Ultrasound showed that the dimension of my Aorta was 1.8cm - the average is 2 cm.

I still see my abdomen pulsating, but only when I lie in a hot bath. I guess the heat brings the blood to the surface and makes the pulse stronger. I've put this episode down to experience and am trying to get it off my mind.
HELLO,
I ALSO WENT FOR THE ULTRASOUND AND WAS TOLD EVERYTHING WAS FINE.  I HOPE EVERYTHING IS O.K. FOR YOU AS FAR AS ANXIETY.  IT AMAZES ME HOW STRESS AND ANXIETY CAN AFFECT A PERSON'S PHYSICAL HEALTH.  FEEL WEEL.
SINCLAIR
I just wanted to say that I can relate to everything written here. I noticed the pulsation back in September. I went in to the doctor and was told it was normal based on him feeling my abdomen and using a stethescope. I persisted and went in for an ultrasound. Everything was fine. I was still freaking out based on everything I read on the internet about AAA so I had yet another ultrasound. It, again, came back fine. I still have doubts because it is so unusual that at 31 years old I just now am noticing this but I am trying to cope. Whenever I lie down on my back it I not only see it but I feel it. I can't even sleep in that position anymore. I have had many anxiety attacks. Especially when I have stomache pains either from nausea or heartburn.
My only advice that I can provide is to have confidence in what your doctor is telling you and focus your attention on something else. It is not worth the hell you will put yourself through.
A related discussion, Stomach pulsing ? was started.
A related discussion, AAA was started.