Family Health Expert Forum
Pain In the lower right side upon waking after a nights sleep.

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I am a 48 year old male with no health issues that I know of. For the last couple months I have had a sharp pain in my right lower side every morning when I sit up. About the area where your belt is. Does not appear to be back related as it feels outboard of the spine. ( I have no problem bending or twisting lifting or any of the other normal movements ) No problems with urination or bowel movements, No blood in the urine an nothing unusual to be seen in the stool. Once I am up an move around the pain goes away. How ever that first sit up in the morning can take your breath away as the pain is sharp. By pressing around the area I don't feel any discomfort.
This has been going on for several months now an I have taken a wait an see approach. But so far it has not gotten any worse but it has not gone away ether.
What is in this area of my body that can cause this sort of pain?It is regular once a day, does not appear to matter what sort of bed I am sleeping on. Nor if I had eaten before bed or not. Part of my concern is wether or not it is minor or the begining of something major. As it has been a couple months an if I had bruised some thing down there I would have expected it to show signs of improvement by now.
Looking forward to at least some information on who I should see as I have no ideal if its kidneys, or liver ??
Cam42
Issues in the right lower side can include the appendix, inflammation of the colon, kidney disorders, a groin hernia or simple muscle strain.  

Of these, any problem with the appendix would be the most urgent.  A CT scan can be considered to evaluate the appendix.  If negative, then I would suggest seeing a physician to check for any hernias as well for a musculoskeletal cause of the pain.

If the musculoskeletal examination was negative and you continue
to have these symptoms, then you may want to consider an endoscopy to further evaluate whether there is any inflammation of the bowel that can be causing the symptoms.
Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
Hey Cam, have you ever figured out what the pain was because i have the same pain every morning. I'm 24 but I have done every test known to check it out, but they cant figure out the problem.

God bless,
george

God bless,
george