Family Health Expert Forum
Pain in roof of mouth/ear....

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Pain in roof of mouth/ear....

Hi.  I'm a 28 year old female.  I don't smoke, but I used to (quit about 2 years ago).  I have always been very healthy.

For about 8 months now (starting about a month after my son was born), I've been experiencing left ear pain and pressure, headaches (on top left), and pain in left sinus areas.  The pain has gradually gotten worse and over the past couple of weeks has gotten MUCH worse.  Now every time I swallow or yawn, I get very SEVERE sharp pain in ear? throat? roof of mouth?  (it
Difficult to say without examination.

Various viruses can lead to lesions in the back of the mouth as well as pain.  A swab, culture, or blood tests to evaluate for various viruses can be considered.

Further imaging of the sinuses can be considered (i.e. a CT scan) to further evaluate the sinuses.  Appropriate antibiotic therapy can be considered to treat persistent sinusitis.  If the infection persist or is refractory, surgery may be necessary.

These options can be discussed with your ENT.  A referral to an oral surgeon can be considered to further evaluate the mouth lesions.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_