Family Health Expert Forum
Pectus causing back pain?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Pectus causing back pain?

I went to the ER with chest pain and was told that a chest wall deformity (they called it pectus excavatum) I've had nearly all my life is the source of my back/chest pain.  The chest pain is not nearly as bad as it was, I just feel a little tight in the chest every now and then, but the back pain has persisted.

A thoracic spine MRI was done and nothing abnormal could be found.  All okay there.  An EKG came back normal and an x-ray revealed a healthy heart size and position in my chest cavity.

What worries me now is whether or not I will qualify for the corrective surgery for pectus excavatum (minimally invasive Nuss procedure) because it's not causing pulmonary distress or shortness of breath.  I know the next step is to get a CT for my heart and lungs,

but

If my back is healthy now, as the MRI reported, could the pectus cause it to get worse over time?  I am *seriously* concerned about my back because I am in school to be a firefighter and my back is the single most important asset to my career.  My back has a 'hump' (from the pectus, is what I'm told) only on the right side about halfway down my back. As shown here;

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7893/pectus11edit9ql.jpg

NOTE: I should add that my pectus is only on the right side of my chest and it's not very severe at all.  Picture;

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4821/pectus14edit7wi.jpg
Treatment for pectus excavatum is controversial since there are no consensus studies showing clear benefit.  Some reports show improvement in lung function, exercise tolerance, and stroke volume postoperatively - while others suggest that that surgery should be reserved for cosmetic purposes.

One suggested criterion is a transthoracic lateral diameter to sternovertebral distance ratio of greater than 3.5, however this can be discussed with your surgeon.

Because there is controversy about the approach to treatment, a second opinion may not be a bad idea in this instance.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
1 Comment
And if I don't qualify for the Nuss procedure to fix the excavatum... what other options are there for me?