Family Health Expert Forum
Pectus causing back pain?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pectus causing back pain?

I went to the ER with chest pain and was told that a chest wall deformity (they called it pectus excavatum) I've had nearly all my life is the source of my back/chest pain.  The chest pain is not nearly as bad as it was, I just feel a little tight in the chest every now and then, but the back pain has persisted.

A thoracic spine MRI was done and nothing abnormal could be found.  All okay there.  An EKG came back normal and an x-ray revealed a healthy heart size and position in my chest cavity.

What worries me now is whether or not I will qualify for the corrective surgery for pectus excavatum (minimally invasive Nuss procedure) because it's not causing pulmonary distress or shortness of breath.  I know the next step is to get a CT for my heart and lungs,

but

If my back is healthy now, as the MRI reported, could the pectus cause it to get worse over time?  I am *seriously* concerned about my back because I am in school to be a firefighter and my back is the single most important asset to my career.  My back has a 'hump' (from the pectus, is what I'm told) only on the right side about halfway down my back. As shown here;

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7893/pectus11edit9ql.jpg

NOTE: I should add that my pectus is only on the right side of my chest and it's not very severe at all.  Picture;

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4821/pectus14edit7wi.jpg