Family Health Expert Forum
Penile pain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Penile pain

I have pain in the left side end of my penis that started about 4 months ago after a nite of vigorous sex. It hurts mostly in the morning when layingdown or when my bladder is full probably due to the pressure. I hurts when I urinate only if i push too hard and not in the ureathra but in the left tip, but there is no pain during urination although the urine stream is disrupted, ie it sprays all over or drips when pain is at its worst. It hurts to wear tight underwear but there is little or no pain from direct pressure to the area where the pain exists although it aggrivates the pain. Having sex or a morning erection seems to agrivate the problem. The pain also developes over night after sex not right away. Also I have felt a sharp pain in the tip at the moment of orgasm. The pain is a burning, or tingling type of ache with ocasional sharp pains and I also feel pain in my lower back leg and toes. The urologist says it is some kind of trauma but not a fracture. If I wait two weeks without having sex the pain subsides until I have sex again although my Initial erection is not painful. It doesn't seem to want to heal and is causing me a lot of anguish. What is wrong and what can I do to help it heal? The doctor says there is nothing he can do and there is no cure other than to let it heal, which it doesn't seem like it is going to do. Is this true? He said to take Ibuprophen and that will help it heal and no sex. I have gone as long as three weeks without sex and thought I was ok and the next day after sex the pain was back. It seems like something has broke inside and any kind of pressure, ie tight underwear or erection or orgasm etc. is causing it to break again. This hapened to me before and it healed after awhile but not months later. Is there some kind of permanent damage that will never go away? Is there anything a urolgist can do or is there some kind of specialist I should see? Should I insist on an ultrasound and would this show any kind of trouble and if so would there be some kind of teatment? This is affecting me both physically and emotionally, not to mention my relationship with my girlfriend. I am afraid to have sex although I still have the desire and the plumbing still works so it is hard to say no and I cant control the morning erections. I am 41 and in excelent physical condition except for this.  Please help me if you can.

Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.

OK, your symptoms all point toward some inflammation of the urethra. I have seen this several times and can tell you that it sounds like a "urethritis". Now, urethritis can be due to infection, STDs, or "mechanical trauma". Honestly, I have seen some young men who were very aggressive with masturbation and developed the same symptoms you describe. Certainly, sexual intercourse could cause these symptoms as well. What appears to be the most effective treatment for this is abstinence for a couple of weeks (its sounds like you have already done this), along with the use of anti-inflammatory medications (i.e. Motrin) and in some cases antibiotics.
If you came to my office with the history you describe, that being you have all these symptoms, have obstained from sexual intercourse (including masturbation)and the symptoms persist, I would do a urinalysis to check for a possible urinary tract infection, do a urethral culture, and quite likely put you on a 2 week course of an antibiotic like "Cipro".
Prostatitis is something else to consider here. Infection of the prostate gland may give you persistent pain in the penis along with the pain in the lower back you describe. Cipro for 2 weeks would treat this as well.
If you have seen a urologist and have not been helped, consider getting a second opinion, and print this up and bring it along with you to that visit.

I hope this helps.

Dean M. Tomasello, M.D.
Thanks for the help Dr Thomasello. I had a urine test twice at the urologist and he said both times it was clear. He never did any kind of culture though. I havent had any kind of discharge at all. Is it possible to have an infection without a discharge? Can oral sex lead to prostatitas? Should I insist on a culture and if so what kind? Also should I insist on the Cipro to be safe? I had a complete physical about a month and a half ago with blood and urine test and everything was ok. The burning type pain has been there quite noticably for the last three days although it has been a little more than a week since I last had sex or masturbated. If it is prostatitis can the fluid coming out be causing the pain in my penis? I am taking Ibuprophen but it is not hepling that much. I think I should bring up the possibility of prostatitis to my urologist but I don't want to seem like i am "telling the mechanic how to fix my car" if you know what I mean, but this makes sense what you say and i think you may be right. I am not trying to be a hypochondriac, i just want this cured and the urologists just simply haven't yet done anything but examin me and tell me it will heal. Thanks again for the input. This is a great site and I appreciate the help.
I have had this same problem for several years.  It has driven me to the point of near insanity.  The symptoms come and go.  I have had countless rounds of antibiotic treatments to no avail.  I had a cystoscopy (that was not fun)  They basically put a camera inside of me and looked at my bladder.  As it turns out, what I have is interstitial cystitis.  Mostly affects women, but 10% of time it affects men.  Here's the great news...no cure.  Some drug called Elmiron can help sometimes if you take it for 6 months 3 times per day and it will help heal the bladder.  My theoiry is that the pain in the tip of penis is a referred paid form the bladder. My personal experience it that a product called ProstaQ helps. It is a nutritional product my doctor recommended.  The only unique ingredient in it that I can tell is Quercetin.  The stuff is like $50 per month but I have found it to be a worthwhile investment.  I am considering getting a prescription for antidepresents which has also been documented as effective.  I notice that when I don't think about it, it seems to get better.  However, when it flares up and I get stressed about it, I go through several days of hell.  Xanax helps, but they recommend some other drug.  I'm not thrilled about getting hooked on drugs, but this thing has pushed me to the brink of suicide and killed my sex life. Wish I had better news, but you are not alone...