Family Health Expert Forum
Possible Cervix and/or Fibroid Problems
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible Cervix and/or Fibroid Problems

I have recently gone in for my first pap in 10 years.  I had some blood in stool and had an abdominal CT scan which showed sigmoid diverticula.  All other organs appeared normal except I had a simple ovarian cyst and a mildly enlarged uterus.  When the gynecologist looked inside me, she immediately asked if I have intermittent bleeding between periods (I don't).  However, my cervix does hurt (I know they say it can't, but it does).  I also feel intense pressure from this enlarged uterus, urinate a lot, have heavy periods with blood clots and pain, etc.  The pap caused several hours of spotting afterwards, which I never had before, along with cramping and pain.  My question is this .. I am assuming my pap is not going to be normal, just because of my symptoms and the length of time since I've had a pap.  My cervix is still very, very sore even though I had the pap 4 days ago.  I am 46 years old.  In September 2004, I got severely swollen legs from the knees down, with pitting, and I went to my GP.  In the course of tests, I was diagnosed with Graves disease.  My levels are not quite regulated yet (I'm on Methamizole), but as I go from hypo to hyper, the edema changes.  Oddly enough, hypo helps the edema and hyper makes it worse (opposite of normal, I know).  Edema is better in the morning, worse at night.  After an illness with diarrhea, edema is nonexistent, and comes back slowly as I eat and drink and return to normal.  Here is my question.  In light of my recent cervical/uterine problems, I am now afraid that all this time, I've had edema because I have some type of cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes.  My CT scan, as I said, was normal except for the ovary and uterus enlargement.  I had a CBC with diff and a metabolic panel; all normal numbers.  If a person had cancer that spread enough to cause edema in the legs, could the person actually go almost 2 years without major cancer symptoms?  Does it sound likely that this edema could be caused by cancer and go on this long without causing me more trouble?  Is it possible that if I have uterine fibroids, they could press on things in the drainage system and cause edema?  Has my doctor done the right thing by simply doing a pap and making me wait for that result?  What about the uterine enlargement?  Shouldn't she be doing something to evaluate that?  Can cervical cancer be visible to the naked eye?  Would a CT scan detect lymph node involvement or spread to other organs?  Would my bloodwork or CT be abnormal if I had metastasis to other organs?