Family Health Expert Forum
Post Mono-Related Fatigue

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Post Mono-Related Fatigue

Hi -

I was diagnosed with Mono in March of this year.  My monospot came back positive.  I had a couple of weeks of sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, sweating.  I have had some other bloodwork done as well:  Hepatitis, HIV, thyroid, diabetes, which all came back negative/normal.  

My problem is that I'm still feeling very tired. I feel like I am struggling through work and my mind doesn't feel as sharp as usual.  I am an auditor, so its hard.  

I started taking a multivitamin, and making sure I exercise each day.  I am taking prozac and wellbutrin for depression.

Do you have any advice for me or an idea of how long this will last?

The duration of the fatigure from mononucleosis is patient dependent, and can last from weeks to months.

There is always the possibility of persistent infection with the Epstein-Barr virus.  This can be tested using specific EBV antibodies.  

Typically the treatment is conservative with eventual resolution of symptoms.  There is controversy about the use of steroids and antiviral medications (like acyclovir).  You can discuss with your personal physician whether these medications can help.  

This question can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I also forgot to tell you that I am 27.  Thanks
Sorry you are still dragging, it can take many months to completely recover. Have you gone back to the doctor? I'd check back with him if your symptoms are persisting. The solution they tod me is rest, rest, rest. Drink lots of water too.
It took me the better part of a year to recover but eventually the fatigue went away. Stay away from alcohol, it will slow healing too.
Hi Kali-

Its nice to hear someone else going through the same thing.  I haven't gone back to my doctor b/c I've been out of town for work for a few weeks now.  
No, haven't gone back to the doctor, I went like 4 times in a 6 week period, and went through a round of antibiotics before they did the mono test.  He mentioned something about doing a specific test for the EBV titers...

Thanks!
I too was diagonsed with Mono in April.  It was horrible.  I think I had it in my system for a while because I had been tired.  Having to take naps on my lunch hour.  When I donated blood in April, I think it brought my imune system down and boom, 3 hours later, I felt horrible.  My problem now is, I get very very fatigued.  I was like this Sunday and again today.  It's horrible.  I am at work and could just lay down and totally fall asleep.  I have a dr appt this Friday to get an understanding of it.  Anyone else out there any no other syptoms (symptoms) now, but still get the off and on fatigue?

Thank you.
Azsunset
hello, i was diagnosed with mono about 4 years ago, and to this day i am still having fatigue all the time, and i am always tired! i try and work out and i can't keep going longer than i was able to the week before. basically, i can't build up endurance. so, i went to my doctor, and she had all of these blood tests done and nothing came back abnormal except for my rheumatoid factor that was positive, which can sometimes be a red herring anyway, as far as i understand. so i just rubbed this off of my shoulder but i am getting tired of being tired and fatigued all the time, and i want to exercise!! its just killing me, but i dont know what to do. i eat healthy, and get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. thanks i hope you can suggest something good
A related discussion, mono symtoms (symptoms) was started.