Family Health Expert Forum
Potential lyme disease

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Potential lyme disease

On Sunday of last week, March 28th, I was hiking in the northwest Connecticut woods.  2 days later I found 2 ticks on my back (1 appeared to be a deer tick).  They both appeared to be dead, but there was blood, and although my wife tried to pick them out properly, it wasn't possible.  I went to my G.P. the next day with the ticks, who also sent the ticks away to be tested for "potentiality" of lyme-disease.  

I (still) haven't developed erythema migrans (which apparently appear in 75% of lyme disease cases), so my doctor gave me 200 mg Doxycycline in one dose, which he says is effective in staving off lyme disease in 90% of cases.  He told me to keep an eye out for erythema migrans and also for "spiking" fever.  Eight days later and I have not developed either; however, I've been having tingling in my extremities (legs, feet, and forearms, both right and left) starting on Friday (i.e. 3 days after I found the ticks, and 5 days after getting the ticks).

I have a couple complicating problems:
- I contracted my wife's cold virus on the Tuesday that I found the ticks.  I have watched my symptoms - sore throat, congestion, etc, but no fever - and they have been identical to hers (i.e. probably unrelated to my tick bites), except for the tingling.
- I have had a pain in the lower right-hand side of my back for several weeks.  A friend mentioned that this would seem like sciatica.  As I understand sciatica, this might explain tingling in my legs, but probably not my arms.

I'm asking you as sort of a second opinion.  Maybe the tingling is anxiety over the bites, but I frankly haven't felt overly nervous about it (I don't think), and this weekend I was relaxed and working out in the sun, etc.

Is it possible to develop lyme-disease related tingling (or any other tick-related disease) only 5 days after the ticks found their host (i.e. me)?  Could it be something else?  Anything else you can recommend?

Thank you very much for your time.
Hi Ben,
Neurological symptoms can be a result of Lyme disease, including numbness/weakness of the limbs.  I think that it is unlikely that your symptoms are due to Lyme disease, but you do need to keep an eye on it, because it is possible.  Usually it takes a few weeks to develop antibodies that can be tested for, so consider asking your doctor about further testing if it continues.  I would follow up sooner if your symptoms change, or get worse.  Good luck.
JMK MD