Family Health Expert Forum
Pressure in both ears

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Pressure in both ears

I am writing because I have had a lot of ear pressure in both ears for the last week. However, it is often worse on the right than the left. I used to have mild to moderate allergies and I would get about two sinus infections a year, although I havent had one in a year. My ears never really botherred me much with the sinus infections. Well now my ears are botherring me with no other symptoms of sinus or allergy. I went to the md on friday and he gave me a decongestant to try and as of now it is not helping. Once or twice I have heard ringing and sometimes I feel sort of spaced out. Also, it seems like the pressure is not there at all or very slight when I wake up in the morning. I am a 25 yo male and in good health.

Could tension headaches cause this(i get a lot of headaches and muscle stiffness from stress)? Could the ear pressure be causing the spacey feeling? Are brain problems the possible culprit(I did go to the optomotrist last week and my eyes and the optical nerves looked fine); can tumors cause such a thing? Any suggestions for relief?
There can be many problems that can lead to pressure in the ears.  This can include allergies, sinus infections, ear infections, or fluid behind the ears.

Imaging the sinuses can be considered with an X-ray or CT scan, and treating any sinusitis should be done.  Checking the ears for fluid and infection also can be considered.

Tumors are possible, and should be considered if the tests remain negative.  Head imaging would be the test to evaluate this possibility.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, Ear Pressure was started.