Family Health Expert Forum
Problems with neck and facial/tongue burning, numbness, tingling
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Problems with neck and facial/tongue burning, numbness, tingling

Past History:  In 1993 I began suffering from a neck injury while at work. I used a computer and sat for long hours doing so. I was also lifting large manuals from above my head. I woke up with a stiff neck along with the muscle on the left side of my neck cramping and feeling hot. I also experienced numbness to my left jaw. The Doctor prescribed a muscle relaxant and rest for a week. I also had some physical therapy and chiropractic work done. Things seemed ok until 1998. At that time my employer moved my computer terminal from the left side of my work station to the right side of my work station. That simple change brought on my sysmptoms again. After a week of rest and taking a muscle relaxant along with the computer being moved back to the left side of my work station I have had minimal symptoms.
Current History:   In 2003 I began experiencing burning at the back of my neck. I felt good when I arrived at work on Monday morning; but, after working a couple of days the burning began and increased. I also had cramping at the left side of my neck and numbness to my left jaw again. My symptoms improved on my days off and returned again each week while at work. They continued to worsen each week until finally I went off work in October 2003. I have numbness, burning and tingling on my lips, tongue, chin, face and earlobes. The symptoms occur when I sit at the computer, drive, rotate my head from side to side, turn my head and look down, and even when I sing (hobby). The neck muscles tighten and I have a hard time swallowing. I also have difficulty speaking when the lower part of my tongue/throat goes. My entire body also becomes very tired. I sleep well at night. I can no longer sleep on my stomach because lip numbness occurs when I turn my head to the side with my pillow. Lying down relieves symptoms.
Tests:  Blood work and ultrasound of arteries in neck: ok
X-Ray of cervical spine: Evidence of mild degenerative change in C5-6.There may be a slight inferior end-plate loss of height posteriorly of the C-5 vertebral body. The disk and end-plate processes result in a slightly exaggerated lordosis at C5-6.
C-Spine MRI: No cord signal abnormalities to suggest a process of demyelination. No cord compression is present. Tiny left disk protrusion at C3-4 may minimally impinge on the exiting dorsal left root. Physical Therapy: Tingling, numbness and burning of tongue, lips and left chin along with tightness of supra and infrahyloid muscles, dizziness and sudden loss of energy symptoms occur with cervical traction, cervical rotation and back bending.
Questions: Any thoughts of further tests that should be done? What type of Doctor should I be seeing? Diagnosis or treatment? Could this be a neck injury caused from years of repetitive motion? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.