Pulating Carotid Artery
I am 45 years old and very active. Last week, I noticed my carotid artery "pulsating" on the left side of my neck. It doesn't do it constantly, but enough to notice. I am in good health with normal blood pressure and don't smoke. I exercise alot. I don't have any physical symptoms, no pain. Is this a benign condition? Would would cause this? Thanks
Sometimes the jugular vein can also present with pulses in that area.  Congestive heart failure and other heart conditions can lead to this.  An echocardiogram can rule out this possibility.

Evaluating the carotid artery for dissection or aneurysm can also be done.  A carotid ultrasound would be a reasonable test to rule out these possibilities.  A neck CT can also be done to further evaluate this suspicion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_