Family Health Expert Forum
Question concerning thyroid medication
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Question concerning thyroid medication

Hello,

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and suboptimal hormone levels seem to be at the heart of the problem, especially adrenal and thyroid performance. Just recently I had a full spectrum of blood tests by a doctor that specializes in hormone supplementation. The tests confirmed sluggish adrenal activity and a higher than normal reverse t3 level. The doctor prescribed 10 mcg of Triiodo-l-Thyronine Sodium S.R., straight t3, with the idea of slowly increasing the dosage over time. I take it  on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I initially get a surge of energy from it, and for a brief time I feel like my old self, but after two hours my body seems to crash. I feel exhausted   and weak; In addition, I have trouble concentrating and feel apathetic. Interestingly, I've had this same general reaction when I took over the counter supplements like Tyrosine and natural thyroid. I feel good initially and then crash. My question is, why  am I having this reaction to the t3? Is this what a person goes through in the early stages of treatment or is my situation abnormal? Thanks for any answers you can give me.