Family Health Expert Forum
Residual Thymic Tissue

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Residual Thymic Tissue
I've been having minor chest pain for several months.  I feel a discomfort on the left side of my chest, just below my chest, when I take a deep breath, cough or sneeze.  It does not feel worse or better when I lie down.  I went for an X-ray in December and they said my lungs looked fine.  I went for a CT scan last week and she said they found residual thymic tissue.  She would like me to see a pulmonologist.  I cannot find anything on the internet with regard to residual thymic tissue.  Is it dangerous to have residual thymic tissue?  What does this mean? Would that cause chest pain?  Is it necessary to have the tissue removed?  Please advise.  Thank you!
It is difficult to say without further evaluation.

It is possible that the residual thymic tissue may be causing the symptoms, assuming the other tests have returned negative.  An echocardiogram and/or stress test should be considered to rule out cardiac causes.  

A PET scan can be considered to evaluate the thymic tissue.  To ensure that there is no cancer from this finding, a biopsy, or mediastinoscopy, can be considered to obtain a sample of the tissue.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or pulmonologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, thymic tissue and was started.
A related discussion, left lung pain was started.