Family Health Expert Forum
Rib, Chest Pain for 4 Months, No end in sight.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Rib, Chest Pain for 4 Months, No end in sight.

I have had right side rib and chest pain for four months after P90x workouts. I am a healthy 27 year old male 6'3" 190 pounds. I have had x-rays, blood tests and an ultrasound but no MRI yet. I feel like it's most likely bad muscle tearing or other injury from the workouts as everything else came up negative. I can't sleep on my right side and the pain is in my entire right rib cage and upper chest and lower right back/kidney area and now going into my left rib cage maybe from sleeping on that side. Should I get an MRI? I have seen a rheumo who recommended one but referred me to my primary doctor again for re-evaluation. My primary doctor feels further testing is not warranted which makes no sense to me. What do I do, why wouldn't this get better but rather is worse after 4 months? Thank you
Related Discussions
Hi Friend,
Bone scan would be better than MRI at this time. With bone scan, we can know whether there are any increased uptake of the scanning dye, inside the body or not.
If the bone scan reports are normal, then there is no need for a MRI. on the contrary, if we see any increased uptake, then we would go for localized MRI scan of the area, where there is an increased uptake of the scaning dye.
Also bone scaning is much cheaper than the localized MRI scan.
SO please do it and let me know about the result.
All the best.
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you. I was referred to another rheumotologist who ordered 3 mri scans of my entire spine and am awaiting results. If this doesn't work I would likely do the bone scan. I prefer mri over bone scan because of the radiation and I have already had an abdominal ct last year which has huge amount of radiation. Thank you
Blank
1364054_tn?1346008767
What did the MRi show? What was your diagnosis? How are you feeling now? Thank you.
Blank
A related discussion, What was it was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank