Family Health Expert Forum
Rib Cage Muscle Spasms

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Rib Cage Muscle Spasms

This is driving me crazy - I'm afraid I am becoming hypochondriac.  I've had alot of stress and anxiety this summer regarding my work and going back to grad school (I'm 40).  I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection.  From the abdominal/pelvic CT scan they found a cyst on my liver which my internist had me do a follow up MRI - all is fine.  My blood work is good as well.  THis year I've also had a colonoscopy (I do every 3 years because of proctitis) and mammogram - all good.  

I've been experiencing muscle twitches and "pinches" in various places, but mostly around my right rib cage and right upper back.  My internist today had me do a chest x-ray which she expects to be fine and that I am mostly suffering from stress.  The problem is that the more tests I have to do the more stressed and anxious I become.  Can stress really cause such problems?  Could I simply just have muscle spasms that just simply happen and for no serious reason?  Thanks so much - I appreciate your input.
Stress can lead to myalgias and other muscle-based pain.

I would exclude cardiac and pulmonary conditions first.  An echocardiogram, stress test, and imaging for a blood clot can all be discussed with your personal physician.

If the cause is determined to be muscle, a referral to a physical therapist or physiatrist (rehabilitation MD) can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have a question, I have been haveing chest soreness just on the top of my chest no chest pains if  hold both my arms back i feel the pain stop my breathing is fine it even goes in my shoulders sometimes and when im at work and the air condtion is over my head when it hit my upperbody it hurts and it comes and goes..... it just so sore they told me at the dr. that i had strains muscle .......                                                                          thanks........
A related discussion, muscle spasms was started.
A related discussion, Mid lower breast bone pain was started.
A related discussion, spasms was started.