Family Health Expert Forum
Right armpit pain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Right armpit pain

Thank you in advance for your time.  Little bit of background... I am 27 year old female.  Take Zyrtec D, Aciphex, Xanax (on occassions), Multi Vitamin daily.  Have had 2 ganglion cysts removed from my right wrist and have had quite a few drained from my right wrist as well, Orthopedic dr. says its from repetive typing at work.  I have in the past suffered quite a few panic/anxiety attacks.  I tend to dwell on my aliments.  I have a huge fear of cancer, my grandmother died of ovarian cancer.  Anyway, I woke up this Monday morning with this pain more of a soreness type of pain (dull, aching type) in my right armpit - more in the very upper part of my armpit. Not sure its my muscle or not. But the pain feels like its in my muscle or that's where it seems to hurt when I press on it. I have also noticed that I have been having tingling in both of my hands lately - not sure if that's related or not.  It's not persisent type of pain, I can take Advil and it feels better.  I feel no type of lumps or swellings and my right armpit feels just like my left one.  Both armpits look identicial in the mirror.  I just recently got over a sinus and upper respiratory infection. GP rx Z-pack for infection, just recently finished that. I have no fever, no night sweats, no weight loss and I don't feel tired.  I'm feeling pretty good now, except I'm starting to worry a little bit over this armpit thing.  I don't know if I am just dwelling on this and me feeling my armpit frequently probably doesn't help.  I have read that Lymphoma presents as PAINLESS swellings and/or lumps.  I realize that you can't diagonse but does this sound like Lymphoma?  Or could it be from my previous sinus infection or maybe a muscle strain, eventhough I don't recall doing anything to strain it.  I do have like a ingrown hair on the right side of my scalp that is getting better.  Does me frequently touching and pressing on my armpit irritate my armpit?  Should I be worried about this?  Should I rush and make a doctor's appt for this?  Just concerned that it could be Lymphoma but from reading from a lot of web sites, they describe it as PAINLESS swellings/swollen lumps or lymph nodes.  I would just like a professional insight to this since I seem to be dwelling on it, I do tend to overreact when I'm afraid.    Thank you very much.
The most serious thing that it could be would indeed be some kind of mass or lymphoma.  As you may know, a lot of nerves pass through that area, so any irritation can lead to irritation of the fingers and hands.  

I would first obtain a detailed physical exam of the area, to ensure there indeed are no masses that can be felt.  If the symptoms continue, imaging of the area can be considered - in the form of a CT scan or MRI to ensure there are no suspicious lesions that can be compressing on any nerves.

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b