Family Health Expert Forum
Right side Pelvic Pain, Ovarian cyst??

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Right side Pelvic Pain, Ovarian cyst??

About six months ago I was at my OB-GYN having my routine exam (pap smear,pelvic exam) while my Dr. was doing the pelvic exam part (where she pushes on the lower ab) I felt some pain on my lower right side. I didn't say anything because I just thought she pushed too hard. It bothered me for a few days after that, but went away and would come back from month to month. It's not a pain that limits me to do things. Its more of an annoying pain like pinching. I have an appt. to see her but just wanted to rule some things out because my husband and I are trying for a baby. I felt it strong about two weeks ago but thought it was just ovulation pain, but who knows. I know it's not a cyst because I was on birth control up until June of this year, can you get cyst while on birth control? I was on the low dose kind of Ortho-Tri. I did have a lesion removed with a laser awhile back, can that leave scar tissue??

Thank you for your time

It is possible to have a cyst on birth control.  

Pain on the lower right side may be suggestive of ovarian pain (i.e. cyst, a mass etc.).  Other possible causes can include problems with the appendix, irritable bowel disease, or inflammatory bowel disease.  

I would consider ovarian causes first, and a transvaginal ultrasound would be the most reasonable test for an initial evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I have been also experiencing this sort of pain for several months and can't seem to get any answers.  I've never taken birth control.  I had a laparascopy in 2001 to rule out endo, none was found, but bowel adhesions were discovered (strange since I had no previous surgeries) which were lysed.  Could this be causing the pinching pain?  You mentioned "problems with the appendix", can appendicitis be chronic/mild/ongoing?  I'm going to the gyno again in two days to demand another TV ultrasound to see if it's related to my ovary as I do experience midcycle pain every month, now in addition to the pain I have in the same area almost every day.  frustrating because i don't know what to do?  are there any other imaging or tests I should ask for from my doctors to find out what is causing this?  thx for helping
A related discussion, lump found was started.
A related discussion, 10+ years of Pelvic pain & no answers was started.