Family Health Expert Forum
STD

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

STD

I am 28 male.I had protected (Condom)sex with a call girl two years back in 2006. One week after the intercourse i started to have fever and sore throat. But no sores, rashes on penis. Als no symptoms like pain during urination or blood or discharge etc.
And the fever and sore throat never stopped and rash especially on the thighs and all over the body came up. When i went to doctor he examined and treated for scabbies.I was ok skin wise but still had mild fever and sore throat.
I got tested for the major STD as follows exactly one year after the intercourse for doubts abt seroconversion periods

Herpes I, Herpes II, Gonnoreah, Syphilis, Chlamydia, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Hiv
But surprisingly all of them came negative.

Soon after this test i started to notice swelling and lymph nodes in my throat and it was really alarming. There was a lot of mucus in mouth and nose. The mouth had so much of ulcers that my primary doctor suspected Herpes. But did not test for that. I took a 3 week anitbiotic course and started to feel better but did not last long. Again sore throat, mild fever and high fever once in a while.
Then stopped taking medication and sore throat got really severe and consulted an ENT physician, who advised getting the throat culture. It came up as a streptococcus positive. On his advise got the tonsils removed (tonsilectomy) because of recurrent throat pain, neck pain and chronic sore throat (pharyngitis). Took a 2 week antibiotic course after this ,it looked it was ok. As soon as i stopped the medication i have started to get the sore throat, mild fever , burning of thighs and high fever once in a while.

I am having chronic sore throat ( pharyngitis), mild fever for about 2 years and lymph nodes for a while now........I am really confused as to what is causing this problem ?
Is this an STD ?
I am at a stage where i am not scared about anything, but i want to know the diagnosis and plan my life accordingly.....
I would probably get one more test for herpes 1 and 2, just to be on the safe side, although if you didn't have oral sex with this woman, I don't think all of these symptoms are likely related to her.
Initially a herpes infection (an oral herpes infection) presents as fever and painful ulcers in the mouth, but recurrent episodes are usually milder and don't have associated fevers.  Also, antibiotics would not improve your symptoms if they were related to HSV (herpes virus).  Your symptoms do not sound STD related to me, and you have tested negative for all of the most common sexually related infections.

If you are truly having documented recurrent fevers, you need to see your doctor about this for further testing.  When you think you have a fever, be sure to check it with a thermometer and write down the values to take into your physician.  Also, make sure to mention if you are having any unintentional weight loss, night sweats, or other symptoms that seem out of the ordinary to you.

Good luck.
JMK MD
Hi there,
did you have oral sex with the call girl?
have you had an repeat testing for herpes 1 and 2, or HIV after the initial negative?
have you had a general check up with basic bloodwork?

JMK MD
Thanks for the reply

I did not have oral sex with the call girl

I did have tested for HIV two times after initial negative (one more recently a couple of weeks back) and they came back negative too....
But did not have a repeat test for Herpes......

I did have a general checkup with basic blood work and doctor said everything is under control.....is there any specific value that i need to check up for from the blood test report and rule out the possibility of STD....

Thanks once again
I had a repeat test for Herpes 1 and 2 and waiting on the results........
As per your comments antibiotics would not improve your symptoms if they were related to Herpes.....I think may be i did not feel improvement of symptoms even with antibotics sometimes when the swelling is giving a burning sensation....

There are other type of Human Herpes virus like HHV 3, HHV4, HHV 5(CMV), HHV 6, HHV 7 and HHV8....should i get tested for these too.....

Also somepeople say that herpeselect (gG) from Focus is not 100% accurate. I still notice red spots coming and going on my legs with burning, tingling and paining every now and then.
If thats the case Should i get tested for the western blot HSV

Thanks in advance for your help