Family Health Expert Forum
SWOLLEN JAW

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

SWOLLEN JAW

I AM A 25YR OLD FEMALE IN DECENT HEALTH.  I HAVE PANIC DISORDER AND PCOS.  ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO I NOTICED I HAD SOME PAIN IN MY RIGHT JAW AND EAR AND A PRETTY SMALL RUBBERY MOVING LUMP ABOUT AN INCH UNDER MY RIGHT EAR.THE LUMP IS NOT NOTICEABLE BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT.   I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND HE GAVE ME A Z-PAC FOR 5 DAYS WHICH DID NOTHING.  I WENT BACK TO THE DOC A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND HE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS A SALIVARY GLAND.  SO I MADE AN APPT W/ AND EAR NOSE THROAT DOC BUT IN THE MEAN TIME CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY ADVICE OR THOUGHTS AS TO WHAT THIS COULD BE AND WHAT COULD CAUSE IT.  I AM FREAKING OUT THINKING I HAVE CANCER OR A TUMOR.  ALSO I AM A SMOKER BUT HAVE RECENTLY BEEN TAKING CHANTIX TO QUIT.  OTHER MEDS I AM ON IS XANAX, PAXIL, LEVORA.....THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER
An enlarged lymph node can present with a lump in that area.  This can be caused by a variety of infections, such as ear infections or upper respiratory infections.

I agree with the antibiotic choice.  If the lump continues despite appropriate antibiotic therapy, an ENT referral should be considered to take a closer look at the lump.  A biopsy would give a more definitive answer.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I WENT TO SEE AN ENT AND HE SAID THE LUMP WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND THAT I HAD TMJ,  I STILL JUST DONT KNOW--SHOULD I JUST NOT WORRY ABOUT IT OR SHOULD I SEEK A SECOND OPINION, THE LUMP IS NOT VISIBLE BUT IT IS MOVABLE.  IM JUST AFRAID OF CANCER OR TUMORS
A related discussion, Swollen Jaw. Ways To Heal was started.