SWOLLEN JAW
I AM A 25YR OLD FEMALE IN DECENT HEALTH.  I HAVE PANIC DISORDER AND PCOS.  ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO I NOTICED I HAD SOME PAIN IN MY RIGHT JAW AND EAR AND A PRETTY SMALL RUBBERY MOVING LUMP ABOUT AN INCH UNDER MY RIGHT EAR.THE LUMP IS NOT NOTICEABLE BUT YOU CAN FEEL IT.   I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND HE GAVE ME A Z-PAC FOR 5 DAYS WHICH DID NOTHING.  I WENT BACK TO THE DOC A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND HE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS A SALIVARY GLAND.  SO I MADE AN APPT W/ AND EAR NOSE THROAT DOC BUT IN THE MEAN TIME CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY ADVICE OR THOUGHTS AS TO WHAT THIS COULD BE AND WHAT COULD CAUSE IT.  I AM FREAKING OUT THINKING I HAVE CANCER OR A TUMOR.  ALSO I AM A SMOKER BUT HAVE RECENTLY BEEN TAKING CHANTIX TO QUIT.  OTHER MEDS I AM ON IS XANAX, PAXIL, LEVORA.....THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER
An enlarged lymph node can present with a lump in that area.  This can be caused by a variety of infections, such as ear infections or upper respiratory infections.

I agree with the antibiotic choice.  If the lump continues despite appropriate antibiotic therapy, an ENT referral should be considered to take a closer look at the lump.  A biopsy would give a more definitive answer.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I WENT TO SEE AN ENT AND HE SAID THE LUMP WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND THAT I HAD TMJ,  I STILL JUST DONT KNOW--SHOULD I JUST NOT WORRY ABOUT IT OR SHOULD I SEEK A SECOND OPINION, THE LUMP IS NOT VISIBLE BUT IT IS MOVABLE.  IM JUST AFRAID OF CANCER OR TUMORS
A related discussion, Swollen Jaw. Ways To Heal was started.