Family Health Expert Forum
Scared of potential dvt

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Scared of potential dvt

I am a 26 year old male, around 5'9 and 150lbs. For the past 3-4 weeks I have been having calf pain in my right leg, which sometimes goes into my shin and behind my knee, and thigh occasionally. I have seen my family doctor who thought it was a pulled muscle from me doing some light exercise, and thought my muscles were tight and I needed to stretch. I have since seen a sports medicine doctor and he said he thought I pulled my calf muscle or maybe teared it? He put me in a compression stocking and says I need to see him back in a month.

I am a big worrier and have been reading lots online which is not very smart I know, I have convinced myself I have the symptoms of a dvt in my leg. I don't have swelling or really any tenderness, warmth of skin etc. When I pull my foot up towards me it is painful but that might be the swollen calf. And we have no history of blood clots in my family. What is the chances of me having this dvt? Can it last for a matter of 3-4 weeks with nothing ever coming of it? Or am I imagining things, it seems that two doctors would have mentioned something if they thought I had one.

many thanks
Tags: dvt
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear fromtexas,

Thanks for posting your query.

I can appreciate your concern. While you seem to have done your bit of research, I would like to reassure you that given your age group and current history, the possibility of you having deep venous thrombosis is quite remote.

In most of the cases, DVT is asymptomatic and mostly develops in people with certain risk factors like immobility, severe co-morbidities or other disorders. Further, the affected leg may be swollen, warmer and would hurt on touching (or it would be tender).  Since you do not have any of these symptoms, it is unlikely that you have DVT.

However, if you want to be doubly sure, you can get a Doppler ultrasound exam of your legs. This is a non-invasive test which will show you how the blood is flowing in your vessels in the limbs. If there is an obstruction to the flow ( as in the case of a DVT), it will show up. I don’t think you need this at present.

I agree with your physician that it is a muscle injury and that would take some time to heal. Please continue the treatment as advised and you would be just fine.

I hope I have answered your query.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani