Family Health Expert Forum
Sclerotic Focus - Bone Island

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Sclerotic Focus - Bone Island
I had an X-Ray taken in Nov of 2003 that showed an incidental finding of a large sclerotic focus on the femoral head.  The radiologist report stated probable bone island.  No follow up was suggested.  I just had a CT Scan that showed the sclerotic focus in the same location.  The radiologist report said likely benign.  No follow up was suggested.  My PCP said radiologists never say "benign" they always preface it with "likely" or "probable" to protect themselves.

If they couldn't say for sure it was benign why did they not suggest any follow up?

Are bone islands easy to tell from looking at the X-ray or CT Scan?

If a radiologist says probable bone island or likely benign are they very confident in their assessment of what they see?  

Would you recommend any other test or follow up or just go by their judgement?

Thank you.

To answer your questions:
1) I cannot comment on the specific wording of the report.  If the radiologist was confident that the lesion was benign, that may be one reason that follow-up wasn't suggested.

2) A CT scan probably would be more sensitive to evaluate for this particular bone disorder.

3) One can speculate that using the words "likely benign" without a suggestion for follow-up means that the radiologist is condifent in the diagnosis.

4) A bone scan or MRI can be considered to further evaluate the area.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, Bone Island was started.
A related discussion, bone island was started.