Family Health Expert Forum
Scotal Burning, Testicular Artophy, Andropause

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

About 1.5 years ago I noticed a slight, gradual drop in my ability to maintain an erection.  I also had a slightly harder time maintaining an erection.  I turn 38 in a couple of months and I have masturbated almost once per day for years.  I thought that maybe I was masturbating too much for my age and just needed a longer recovery time.  My erections improved a little, but generally continued to decline.  I also had a hard time controlling ejaculation.

Also over the past year, I noticed my muscles would ache more after exercise.  Then about 4-months ago, I really started to have trouble even getting erections.  I also had some limited prostate type symptoms (discomfort while sitting, variable flow rate while urinating).  My testicles/scrotum have been burning and my testicles seem to have shrunk and are more tucked up.

I went to my family doctor and told him I was worried about either Andropause or prosate problems.  Of course, I had been taking some Saw Palmetto and other herbs for about a week and by the time I had my appointment the prostate symptoms had gone away.  He checked my prostate and it wasn't enlarged or sensitive.  My testosterone was marginal (13) and I had all of the Andropause symptoms (physical, mental, sexual) so he started my on Androderm.  (My family doctor has referred me to a Urologist, but it takes months in Canada to see a specialist).

My concern is that testicle burning is NOT listed as an Andropause symptom anywhere I could find.  So I was worried that the Andorpause symptoms were really the result of testicular damage/atrophy.  Some nights, I have to put an ice pack on my testicles since the burning is so uncomfortable.  I am now almost completely impotent with no more morning erections. My last erection was 3-weeks ago.

I just got tested for Chlamydia, Gonnorrhea & Syphillis (syphilis) and should the results back next week.  I looks like untreated STD's could lead to my condition.

There is a web-site (www.herbolove.com) that mentions that over-masturbation can lead to many of these symptoms.  I've found it on other mens health web-sites,  but the all refer to this doctors theories.  They of course sell a product to recover from this condition.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Infections such as STD's and prostatitis can certainly cause testicular burning.  The tests for the STDs you had are a good first step in evaluating this.  I would also perform a urinalysis.

To evaluate prostatitis, make sure a thorough digial rectal exam was performed.  Prostatic secretions should be collected and cultured for infection.  A transrectal ultrasound can also be considered to evaluate for an abscess.  

I would also consider a scrotal ultrasound to evaluate for epididymitis.  

If the infectious route is not revealing, you may want to consider a referral to a neurologist to evaluate for any nerve disorders causing your symptoms.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.