Family Health Expert Forum
Seeking Suggestions for Son
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Seeking Suggestions for Son

Our son was born by C-section on Sept. 27, 2001 in the 31+2 week because of gestosis (970g and 37.5 cm long). He was quite healthy then. He could not perform defacation until 4 days after his birth. Colon surgery was performed on the 5th day after birth (Oct. 2, 2001) and a stoma was built up which will be reconstructed later. The situation with the bowel works well and everything is here o.K. During surgery he had an artherial catheter in his lower right leg.

On the second day after surgery this right leg started to behave in a strange manner. The femoral began to swell and the lower leg including the foot turned blue and became edematous at certain parts. The medical doctors said that this is a strange behaviour and could not find out the actual reason behind it because nothing did fit. A doubler ultrasonography showed that there was still blood flow in the right leg. For days, the whole leg was held by my wife higher than the body and the swelling in the femoral decreased. The blue color in the calf decreased until the middle of his feet. After about 1 week the front part of his feet started to get black and started die. The whole residual part of the leg became normal until about two weeks ago the foot became blue again until the heel and there was a sort of a blue line extended up to his knee. This coincided with the death of the front part of his foot. This situation was approximately stable for about the last two weeks.

The color of the foot depended very much on the position of the foot. He was heparinized the whole time. Now he gets a heparin derivative by Rhone Poulenc Rorer which can be kept in the therapeutical range.

As the situation did not improve over the last two weeks, they tried this Friday (Nov. 8, 2001) a sort of an experiment to perform a digital subtraction angiography which has at least never been performed in this hospital. They were reluctant at first to perform an angiography at all because of the risks and because he is quite small. As of Nov. 11 he has 1460g and is 40.5cm long. They laid a catheter into the heart, led the contrast agent in and performed the angiography.

The result was that it turned out that he probably had a thrombosis in the iliac artery in the pelvis. The artery cannot be seen over a long stretch. The femoral artery starts to make connections to the iliac artery in the femoral to provide blood to the leg. Two of the three arteries in the calf cannot be seen. One gives at least some blood to the lower leg which is already smaller than the left one. No blood flow can be seen in the foot which will certainly die. He might lose the whole leg. Are conservative measures to build up the blood flow to let most parts of the leg survive? What about microsurgery? Lysis by rtPA might too late and too risky? Or could anything else be done?

Thank you...

Dr. A.B.