Family Health Expert Forum
Sharp anal pain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Sharp anal pain

For the past week or so I have been experiencing sharp anal pain. It does not feel as though it is very deep. Close to the outside. Right inside the anus. The pain does not last for a long time. Maybe 30 seconds at the most. But it is recurrent and usually only hurts in the morning hours.

I have had anal intercourse but do not feel as though I'm at a risk for any venereal disease. I am in a long term, committed relationship. Both of us have been tested within the past year for all types of STDs and no presence was found in either of us.

Thank you for your help.
Hemorrhoids or an anal fissure can be considered.

An anoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy can be discussed to evaluate the symptoms.  If an anal fissure is present, there are various topical options that can be considered - such as topical nitrates.  A surgery referral can be considered if the symptoms continue.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
-10 Comments
A related discussion, Anal Pain was started.