Family Health Expert Forum
Should i be concerned

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Should i be concerned

Hello, i am a 20 yo male in pretty alright health. but a month ago i had a stuffy nose and PND which caused my throat to be not sore but a little irritated and also for about a week i kept spitting up mucus it was mostly clear and sometimes green. then after that i had a minor ear infection for a 2-3 days. now almost a month later i have swollen glands under my arm and mild right arm pain. the glands arent huge and i think they were burning( might have been my deoderant, as i switched brands. i looked online and i couldnt find anything that fit my symptoms. also i am not sexually active and the last time i had sex was a year ago and i had a full std check and i donated blood in the recent month. i have had no fever night sweats or anything that would signal a big illness. the only other thing i might add is that my upper right chest is tender to the touch ( which may be from me running into something
I would exclude infection first, with the evidence of swollen glands.  Appropriate antibiotics to treat sinusitis and other bacterial respiratory infections can be considered.

Imaging the sinuses can be done to exclude sinusitis.

If the symptoms continue, you can consider allergy testing and appropriate allergy medications if positive.  

If the lymph nodes continue despite treating and excluding infection, a referral to a surgeon can be made for a possible biopsy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
thanx. i  read that things that cause muscle pains were viruses so i just thought it may have been that. also you may be right i do feel sinus pressure occasionaly, and when i go home from college i will see my doctor. i just wanted some expert advice in the meantime