Family Health Expert Forum
Sloqly Rising, Yet High, HCG Levels

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Sloqly Rising, Yet High, HCG Levels

I've been trying to conceive for seven months using donor sperm and IUI. This cycle, I used clomid and had three large follicles. I was overjoyed to finally test positive for pregnancy. My first HCG level at 17 dpo was 656, which I was told was rather high, but a good sign. But two days later, the result was 964.

My RE ordered a third test, and today, at 21 dpo, the result was 1337. It's increasing, but not doubling, and the levels still seem high. I have no other symptoms, other than very light and very occasional cramping, which I've heard is normal. My morning sickness came and went after two days. I feel fine physically, but worried now. Is the slow rise something to worry about? And if this were an ectopic pregnancy, wouldn't I feel pain or have mush lower levels?

Thanks.
Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HcG) levels are very useful. HcG can detect pregnancy on day 11 after fertilization and these levels rise exponentially until 9-10 weeks gestation. The level usually "doubles" every 1.5-2.0 days then tapers off.
If it was an ectopic pregnancy, you may not have symptoms this early on. The numbers you mention are not "doubling" as fast as you (and your doctor) may like, but overall I think your numbers this early on ... look very very good.
If you begin to have bleeding or severe cramping and/or abdominal pain, this would be a concern. Honestly, there is very little you can do right now other than "wait". It is good to hear you feel fine physicially. Your numbers look good. Perhaps an ultrasound in a few more weeks would provide further reassurance.
Thank you very much. I am so happy I found this forum, and I appreciate your frankness. And optimism!

To update, I had a preliminary ultrasound this morning and saw a normal gestational sac. It was wonderful to see that. My doc (who is a RE) said we can only wait another 10 days or so until we do another ultrasound. She was hopeful, assuming this was a "vanishing twin" situation. She gives it a 50/50 chance at viability.

I do have a follow up question. She suggested not doing anymore Hcg tests until the next ultrasound, because any results would be confusing and just worry me, because if there is a "vanishing twin", the numbers would still be off. But wouldn't I still see a doubling? I don't understand the math... Do you think it's wise to forego HCG testing for a time? Would the "not doubling" portend of another bad result to come?

Even though it may not sound it, I do remain hopeful. I am 38, this is my first pregnancy, and I'm single. I may just have too much time to ruminate. :-)

Thanks.

Robin
I am so happy I have been of some help.
Honestly, the HcG's are likely to do nothing more than bring anxiety. You are in your first trimester. Try to relax and let nature take its course. My feeling ... really ... is that "stress" will not help you (or your baby) in any way. If it is meant to be, it will be. From what you have told me thus far, the prognosis for a sucessful pregnancy is very good.
I've got my fingers crossed for you  :o)
Dr. Tomasello
www.NetLiveMD.com
Hi I am about 4 weeks pregnant and my hcg levels are at 665. I had a miscarriage last month and am concerned if the levels are too low yet! I have looked up the level charts but the ranges are so wide can you please help!
i am on my 5th week of ivf, my levels are 5300 is that too low for my pregnancy levels, am i going to have a miscarriage.
Hi.  I am new to this site.  I am 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant, according to my LMP.  I had some very minor red spotting (a drop) a week ago, and since had off and on brown discharge.  I have no pain whatsoever.  My HCG levels were checked a little less than 48 hours apart, and first one was 7300 and second was 8700.  My doctor was not encouraged by this, and sent me for an ultrasound to rule out ectopic.  It wasn't ectopic, but a fetal heartbeat could not be detected, but it can be too early. (I was just about 6 weeks at the time of ultrasound)  I am going for more bloodwork tomorrow to check my levels again.  My question is, is there a chance this pregnancy will continue?  I have done research and read that HCG levels don't necessarily double after they hit 7000, and also not every 48 hours, it can be 72-96 hours.  Is this true, and why hasn't my doctor informed me of this to alleviate some stress and worry?  Please respond.
A related discussion, HCG levels? was started.
LMP 10/24 making me 5 weeks 3 days. My beta hcg levels on 11/26 were 3087 on 11/30 it was 3512 why are they not doubling? The dr sent me for an ultrasound to rule out an Ectopic pregnancy and the tech said the sac was in the uterus and that everything  was fine. The dr wants a 2nd ultrasound and blood work in one week to see if the hear a heartbeat and see a fetal pole. HELP!!!