Family Health Expert Forum
Slow rising HCG levels and saw a heartbeat....HELP! I am 7 weeks and 3...

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Slow rising HCG levels and saw a heartbeat....HELP! I am 7 weeks and 3 days.

I started spotting on Sat. morning and went to the ER.  I had a hcg test that came back at 2500.  An ultrasound was also performed and showed a heartbeat of 180bpm.  I then saw my ob on Monday.  Another hcg test and progesterone test done.  Hcg was 4508 and progesterone was 15.2.  I was having weekly injections of progesterone and now my doc increased them to two times a week.  Also an ultrasound was done by my doc and also a very visable heartbeat.  Today my hcg was only 5100.  Also I am positive I am 7 weeks 3 days and my doc says I am only about 6 weeks 6 days.

So in short, my numbers were 2500 (sat) 4508 (mon) 5100 (wed).  I am having very very very light tan spotting (not even enough to wear a pantyliner).  Is this the beginning of a miscarriage?  I am having NO cramping!

Thanks,

Andrea
Andrea,

Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.
I might suggest that you try to "relax" a bit (I know it is hard and you are worried), but you are in your first trimester and there is nothing really that you can do to help ensure that you carry this baby to term other than taking good care of yourself, taking your prenatal vitamins and following up closely with your doctor. Your HcG is steadily rising, and while it may not have "doubled"  for 3-4 days (sunday to wed, the overally picture looks good. A rising HcG, obvious presence of fetal heartbeat and the absence of cramping are ALL GOOD SIGNS.
In addition the spotting you describe sounds quite sparse. I cannot ASSURE you that you are not having a miscarriage Andrea, but the symptoms and HcG readings you describe now and the "lack of" symptoms relating to a miscarriage (i.e. lack of fetal heartbeart, dropping HcG, heavy cramping and bleeding) make a miscarriage at this point seem unlikely.
Make sure you keep your doctor abreast of any "changes" in how you feel and keep your appointments!

All the best to you and your unborn baby!
Hello...I am 40 years old and 7 weeks pregnant (estimated). I miscarried due to fetal demise from Down's Syndrome, 4 months ago. I had my first ultrasound today and the fetus was 10 mm and there was a heartbeat. Does the sign of a heartbeat mean I'm further along than 7 weeks, and if so, is 10 mm too small if I'm further along?

Also, I plan to get more testing so if there is a problem I don't have to go as long. Last miscarriage and D&C was at 12 1/2 weeks. Pretty traumatic. Would you recommend CVS for me? AFP triple marker test? Are there any other signs I should look for in my bloodwork to indicate problems?

On 7/31 my HCG was 28,000 and my progesterone was 23.9

Thank you!
DebMuse
A related discussion, 7 weeks high hcg but rising slow was started.