Family Health Expert Forum
Small, hard lymph node....concerned

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Small, hard lymph node....concerned

For several years, I have noticed a small, hard as a rock, nontender lump on the left side of my neck (right under the jaw line).  It has not gotten bigger, but appears to be imbedded in my gland.  When I swallow, I can sometimes feel it move up and down.  I have mentioned this to my doctor's over the years and none of them seem concerned.  One doctor said it was a calcified node.

I did have a severe case of Mono several years ago and do not know if this may be related to that.  However, as I read up on lymph nodes, everything I read says that this type of node can be cancerous.  The only part that doesn't fit, is that it's the size of a pea and has not grown at all over the years.  I am also thin and have a small neck, so maybe I can just feel more, but the lymph node does concern me.

Also, in the past four months I have noticed another lymph node in the pelvic/groin area.  It is not as hard, does not hurt, but still concerns me.  I feel fine, but am really concerned.

I have an appointment to see a doctor this week, but should I be concerned?  Should I seek a biopsy?

Thank you for your help!
If the lymph node persists or enlarges, it can be concerning for cancer (i.e. lymphoma).

At the very least, I would consider imaging the area (i.e. an ultrasound).  If it continues to look suspicious, a biopsy can be considered for a more definitive evaluation.

This option can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a surgery referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I have a similar situation.  I found a lump in my right neck by my ear.  I went to my primary care physician, and she put me on two weeks of anti-biotics to see if the lump would come down from the swelling.  A few days after the two weeks of anti-biotics, I found myself back at the doctors, the lump was still there.  Although it was a little reduced in size she still seemed a bit concerned.  She also found another swollen lymp-node under my right jaw.  Anyway, long story short, she has given me a referral to get an ultra sound on it just to be safe.

I think you should definatly ask your physician about getting an ultra sound done.  I know its very much of a concern to find a lump in your neck, but I did look it up A LOT on the internet and found that only very rarely these swollen lymphnodes are cancerous.  But I do think you should still get it checked out just to be on the safe side.  I still need to make my appointment for my ultra sound, hopefully it'll be fine.  Good luck with everything.
I had one enlargement on the front and back left side of my neck.  In the past few days however I noticed that two have popped up on the front and back right sides as well.  My doctor put me on amoxicillin, but it did not do much good.  Now he has me on another antibiotic.  I am little concerned because many of the resources that i read say that lymph nodes due to an infection are painful but mine are not.  Is this cause for great concern?