Family Health Expert Forum
Sore throat, stiff neck stuffy nose

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Sore throat, stiff neck stuffy nose

Hello and thank you so much for this site.

I have had a sore throat for a couple about seven weeks.   It feels like there is a half of one of those "bouncy balls" in the middle or left side of my throat when I swallow.  It's never excruciating, more annoying - especially since I'm rarely sick.  Also, since this began, I've usually had a stuffy nose, sometimes a stiff neck, and sometimes a headache.

At first, the doctor saw the redness and thought it was post nasla drip and presecribed a medication that I sniff twice in each nostril before bed.  They also took a strep test which came up negative in the short run.  The next day I got a call saying that I tested positive for strep.  I was prescribed Azithromycin.  I took it for the five days in which it seemed to improve.  It then came back to the normal pain.  I told the doctor about a week after I stopped taking my meds at which time she re-prescribed the Azithromycin. I took it until yesterday - my last dosage.  This morning it felt ok, but tonight it's back. A friend of mine whose always sick said I need to take Cipro if it's strep.  He has it yearly and takes Cipro and it kills it first shot.

I've had this for a while now.  It seems my wife or 6 yo stepson would have caught it if it was strep, but they haven't (THANKFULLY!)

My questions are: (1) does this sound like strep?  (2) What else could it be? (3)Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Strep is certainly possible, and the azithromycin is an appropriate antibiotic for this.  

If there is a pharyngeal abscess, this would need to be drained as antibiotics would not be effective.

As for other causes, mononucleosis is certainly possible, and should be tested via blood tests.  I would also consider an HIV test.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with an ENT specialist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
BTW, I don't recall ever having a fever during the time I've had this.  Also no vomiting or rash.  The doctor didn't mention swullen lymph nodes either.  
I just want to be sure that you know most about me, I've reseached the web for quite a bit:  this should be the lst post re: my health:
1) I drink beer regularly - but didn't at all while on meds.
2) I do not smoke.
3) Cancer does not run in my family
3) I've had mono twice, but not in years:  My throat doesn't hurt like mono did nor do I feel fatigue more than ususal, no loss of appetite
4) I do not have a history of allergies myself, nor does my family, though my father has horrible allergies at times due to ragweed.
I've had all Chlamitia, Gonnorea, Syphilis, Herpes Syphilis and HIV tests 5 1/2 weeks from my last sexual encounter which was receiving a few secondsd or oral from a woman - I'm a man.  All were negative.  

I've read that azithromycin sometimes doesn't work on strep... is that accurate?  

Is it likely to have mono without the fatigue?  Won't that go away on its own?
I went back to my doctor.  She said that five weeks hiv test was sufficient.  She put me on Prilosec for acid reflux.  Any other ideas or things that have worked for others?