Family Health Expert Forum
Sore throat, swollen gums, mouth sores

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Sore throat, swollen gums, mouth sores

Please Help,

About 6 weeks ago I developed what appeared to be a canker sore on my gum, my first ever.  It grew to be about 7-8mm long and then 2 weeks ago it ruptured, however it is still there but is now smaller.  1 week ago my throat became sore and upon waking up 6 days ago I could not swallow.  I had a horrible throat infection with the back of my throat turning deep red and white.  I have had a tonsilectomy 3 years ago due to a chronic strep problem and the pain I felt was almost as extreme as my post surgery pain.  I went to the emergency room and was given a rapid strep test that came back negative.  The doctor gave me 250MG of Cephalexin and 100W of Propoxyphene-N.  I have taken these medications religiously for 3 days.  My throat is no longer as painful as it was originally, but it is still very painful and colored the same way.  Also, the infection has spread to my gums and gums feel smooth to my tongue, are red, black, and white, and are also very painful.  Also, two more canker sores have appeared in the last 48 hours.  I have an appointment to see my PCM at the beginning of next week.  Is there anyway you could shed some light on to what is happening in my mouth?

P.S. I should add that my wife does get cold cores, which I understand are a strand of herpes?  Perhaps that could be related?

Thanks!
how's the throat?  it sounds more like yeast than herpes, you really need to be seen if this is still troubling you because of your fevers.
I should also mention  that I run a 103+ fever at night, with no fever in the mornings...
A related discussion, mouth sores and strep throat was started.
A related discussion, oral pain in infants mouth was started.