Family Health Expert Forum
Sprined Ankle and Leg Pain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Sprined Ankle and Leg Pain

I sprained my left ankle pretty severely about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  X-rays determined that it was sprained on both sides.  I can walk normally and it only really hurts going down stairs or when stretched all the way to one side or the other.  The most painful is when I try to flex my foot all the way out (pointed down like a ballerina), particularly on the left side of my ankle.  The weird thing is that when I do that and my ankle hurts, I also get some pain ion the left side of my leg as well.  I would not really say calf pain as it is on the side of my leg, not the back.  Nothing major, but it is worrying me.  Since the sprain sometime I get pains in my calf, behind my knee (just once or twice), or in the thigh.  Once again, nothing really painful, just like a very mild cramp or muscle spasm.  The best way that I can think to describe is that it feels like "growing pains" from when I was little.  Also, the pain will go away for a several hours, come back for a little while and go away again.  It depends on my activity level, it seems.  There are times when I can go almost all day and not have any pain.  I have read that a DVT can cause pain when flexing your foot up to your leg and I tried this and have no pain at all.
Is this normal when healing a sprain?  The Dr. who did my X-rays says that my leg is compensating for the ankle, and some muscles/ligaments may have been puled..  I guess I am most afraid of having a DVT, but the pain is mild, does not feel "deep" at all, and moves around (i.e., thigh will hurt, then calf, etc.).  There are no other symptoms at all other than the pains (not "hot" to the touch, no discoloration, swelling, etc.).  The only other factors that make me afraid of a DVT is that I spent about half of a day with my leg up when I sprained it, and am overweight.  I am a 25 year old female.  I have no insurance and don't want to be an alarmist if this is normal for a sprain. Any advice/info is appreciated!
I agree that a DVT should be ruled out in the face of refractory pain.  

The X-rays would evaluate for any breaks or structural damage, but cannot evaluate for blood clots.  

An ultrasound of the leg would be the recommended test at this point.  If negative, physical therapy can be considered to help with recuperating from the sprain.  

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
A related discussion, sprained ankle was started.