Family Health Expert Forum
Suboxone/Subtex and Breastfeeding

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Suboxone/Subtex and Breastfeeding

Hi.  I have just started my recovery from pain medication.  I was prescribed them for a hirrible back injury last year.  I have a 6 month old daughter and have found myself connecting with another woman who is in pretty much the same boat as me, although her abuse of the pain meds is for alonger period of time and she took (takes) much more than me.  She is breastfeeding, I am not.  
My question and major concern for her is whether or not the fact that she is about to go on Suboxone to get clean off of the opiate pills will harm her baby and if so, what type of problems could arise.  Her dr does not know that she's been breast feeding all this time and is fine with prescribing her the suboxone or subtex in order for her to have an easier withdrawal but I'm terrified for her that she will do irreversible damage to her child who is about 4 months old.  Since she cannot talk to her dr about this and I am a regular on this site for other issues I thought I would ask the question.
I have read on the web that it is not a good idea to breast feed while on those medications but I know they say that about so many meds these days just to cover themselves and that the majority of the time the secretion into breast milk is very minimal.  I also have read that mothers on methadone should continue to breast feed so I'm a bit vonfused.
Please help.  I'm trying to be her "sober partner" and I want what's best for her but also what's best for her baby.
Thank you in adance.

Suboxone does enter the breast milk but the effect is minimal.  However, the NIH recently put out a statement asking this exact question:

'Although the Subutex
1 Comment
Thank you very much.