Family Health Expert Forum
Substances that can cause false positives on a drug test.

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I am taking a non-prescription medication in a pill form that is called Vilantae.  These pills will supposedly lower my body's production of oil and cure my oily skin problem.  The bottle says it is all natural but it contains extremely high doses of vitamins b5, D-Calcium Pantothenate, and other vitamins and minerals.  My question is, could these pills produce a false positive on a random drug test that tests for various illegal substances? I have heard that consuming large amounts of poppyseed food pruducts could produce a false positve.  I wondering if the extremely high doses of vitamins b5 and D-Calcium Pantothenate or any of the other ingredients in Vilantae could do the same. I work in a government agency that has strict drug testing procedures and my career depends on my results.
It is difficult to say.  However, I am not aware of those specific  ingredients causing a positive drug screen.

To be 100% sure, you may want to run this question by a toxicologist because there may be some non-reported ingredients in the "other vitamins and minerals" that may be an issue.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b