Family Health Expert Forum
Swollen Glands

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Swollen Glands

About two to three months ago, what I took to be a gland under my left armpit swelled up hard.  After a few days it went down, but then the one under my right armpit swelled up.  The doctor said sometimes glands come up and we don't know why, and that if it was serious it would stay swollen.  He said it was unusual for one to come up at a time like that.  He did a "blood picture" (I think for diabetes) and tested for glandular fever, but the results were fine.  Since then, though, they came up again really hard, and now every two or three weeks the same glands swell up, though never as hard as the first couple of times.  This is not in itself a problem, but I am very worried that it might be symptomatic of something more serious.  Should I go back to the doctor?  Are there other tests that I should ask for?
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum
You very well may be dealing with sebaceous cysts. However any glandular swelling that does not go away or becomes larger needs to be biopsied.
A sebaceous (or epidermoid) cyst is a noncancerous swelling under the skin. It is lined by packed outer skin cells. The cyst itself is filled with oil or dead cells. Under certain conditions such as stress, increased activity, mechanical irritation, diabetes, or other concurrent illness these cysts may enlarge and become somewhat tender. On occasion, these cysts will be drained by the physician and antibiotics will be prescribed. Warm moist compresses will commonly help bring these cysts
You seem to have axillary lymph node enlargment. First of all you have to see whether there's any injury(even minor scratch) in the area that drains this particular node. If there is any you don't need to worry about.
I don't have any injuries under or near either of the nodes that have been swelling up.  Where does that leave me.
First step in the assessment of lymph node swellings is to look for any local cause i.e any skin lesion on the area drained by that enlarged node. In your case the lymph node resides in axilla. And there are three sets of nodes in axilla- lateral, central(deep within the axilla), and inside axillary folds that drain different different areas of our body according to their location. I am not insisting that it is the only thing that can cause lymph node enlargement. You have also to look on the front of the chest including nipples  and the back (can you look at your back of chest)and arms. Well yes there are many tests keeping in mind different illnesses that cause such node swellings.
First step in the assessment of lymph node swellings is to look for any local cause i.e any skin lesion on the area drained by that enlarged node. In your case the lymph node resides in axilla. And there are three sets of nodes in axilla- lateral, central(deep within the axilla), and inside axillary folds that drain different different areas of our body according to their location. I am not insisting that it is the only thing that can cause lymph node enlargement. You have also to look on the front of the chest including nipples and the back (can you look at your back of chest)and arms. Well yes there are many tests keeping in mind different illnesses that cause such node swellings.
DrNad,
No offense intended, however I would like to ask your qualifications and area of expertise.

Thank you.
:)
DrNad

..
I'm sorry, this wasnt supposed to be put into "Men's Health", but maybe someone can give me some help here anyway.
Hi, I don
I was just surfing the net looking up "swollen glands in armpit" and I came across your posting.
I recently woke up (about a few weeks ago) with a real pain under my armpit. It was a "zit" or "ingrown hair" - I couldn't really tell. About an inch away was a lump - a mobile, somewhat soft swollen gland. I went to the doctor who told me not to worry about it and that it was probably simply a reaction to the zit or ingrown hair in that region. He was fairly certian that it was a swollen gland but said that if it was a cyst of some sort - he said it still did not concern him in the least due to its texture. I went for a second opinion. The second doctor was certain that it was a swollen gland and that it was a reaction to the zit/ingrown hair.
I'm a little worried. The zit/hair is now gone (has been for about a week)but the gland continues to be swollen (still mobile and somewhat soft). It does not appear to have grown in size. How long does a gland remain swollen if responding to an infection or pain of some sort in the are? Should it have gone down yet? I hate to obsess about these things but it worries me to look down and see this lump under my right armpit (slightly to the oustide area).

Any responses would be much appreciated.
Thank you.