Family Health Expert Forum
Swollen Lymph Gland
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swollen Lymph Gland

Hi,

I have a persistently swollen lymph gland on the left side of my neck, under the back of my jaw. This began about 10 months ago with a feeling of pressure around my left ear, neck and jaw. Once the gland was swollen there was no pain and it didn't seem to grow any larger. It seemed quite soft and loose, easily moved by a fingertip. I have twice consulted my local Doctor about this (last time 5 months ago) and was told to not worry about it. After each examination other glands in my armpits and groin have swollen up and become tender, these return to normal after a week or so. A month ago I thought the swelling had gone, only for it to return a few days later (to a larger size and very tender for a few days), accompanied by a very sore throat. The gland now remains swollen to this larger size than before (but not tender), it seems a bit harder but I don't want to poke it too much and the left side of my throat remains sore. I didn't have a sore throat during the time the swollen gland was smaller.

About 6 months before this began I had an infection in my left ear, aggravated by continual scuba diving (my job), this cleared up but has left me with a permanent ringing in my ear. I've also had a wisdom tooth out of the upper left side of my jaw, again about 6 months before this began, the gum in this area is still often swollen or tender. Whenever I move my jaw from side to side or fully open my mouth, the left side clicks. In my late teens/early twenties I had recurring bouts of tonsilitis and throat infections, but have been free of them for the last several years. During my last visit to my Doctor a cursory examination of my ear and throat revealed a normal ear and throat.

My general state of health is good, I sleep well and have plenty of energy. I've been going to the gym the last 5 months and have put on about 8Kg of muscle weight.

I've posted this question as I'm worried by the persistant nature of this swelling. I understand some of the possible causes could be serious and would like to know what more harmless cause there could be. My Doctor has told me not to worry, but not explained what may be behind this. Also, how long should I leave it before demanding a more rigorous examination? Is it possible for a gland to remain harmlessly swollen for years? Is there anything I can do to resolve this situation?

Thanks, in advance.

Conn.